It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
(female)

dcoday HB User
Question Allergic reaction to mastisol - post op ACDF

Just wondering if anyone else has had this? I had a one level C5/6 ACDF on 7-11-12. I do have alot of allergies but this is new!
Mastisol is the adhesive they use over the incision to help the steri-strips stick. I noticed an irritation 1day post op but thought it was just due to the surgery itself. I ended up in the ER over the weekend and then sent to the surgeon immediately on Monday. The incision area is bright red, very swollen, blistering and extremely itchy. The surgeon said he has never had a patient react like this! (the very first time i met my NS i did tell him i was one of those patients that always fell into the 1% category. Expect the unexpected!) so far it has held true
I tried to upload a picture but was unable to. just wondering if anyone has experienced this and how long it lasted and how was it treated.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
(female)

orphan1965 HB User
Re: Allergic reaction to mastisol - post op ACDF

Hello,
Looks like we had surgery the same day! I too started to react to the adhesive. First it was from the tegaderm then from the steri strips/mastasol. I removed them because I know all too well what can happen. I didn't let it go too long when I started itching. I knew what was happening. My incision was not draining and looked good so I removed them and now have nothing covering it. I work for the surgeon who did my surgery so I just let them know what was going on. He said I did exactly the right thing. You are not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
(female)

dcoday HB User

Thanks so much for responding! I wish I had said something earlier to the Dr. by the time the NS took off.the steri-strips it had been 6 days! The itching is finally better and the swelling goes down each day.
How are you feeling? I hope your recovery is going well. I had no idea what to expect as far as recovery. My surgery was done on an emergency basis so I did not have a lot of time to prepare and do research.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
(female)

dcoday HB User

Thanks so much for responding! I wish I had said something earlier to the Dr. by the time the NS took off.the steri-strips it had been 6 days! The itching is finally better and the swelling goes down each day.
How are you feeling? I hope your recovery is going well. I had no idea what to expect as far as recovery. My surgery was done on an emergency basis so I did not have a lot of time to prepare and do research.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
(female)

Alex1955 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoday View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has had this? I had a one level C5/6 ACDF on 7-11-12. I do have alot of allergies but this is new!
Mastisol is the adhesive they use over the incision to help the steri-strips stick. I noticed an irritation 1day post op but thought it was just due to the surgery itself. I ended up in the ER over the weekend and then sent to the surgeon immediately on Monday. The incision area is bright red, very swollen, blistering and extremely itchy. The surgeon said he has never had a patient react like this! (the very first time i met my NS i did tell him i was one of those patients that always fell into the 1% category. Expect the unexpected!) so far it has held true
I tried to upload a picture but was unable to. just wondering if anyone has experienced this and how long it lasted and how was it treated.
Thanks!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
(female)

Alex1955 HB User

Oh yes. I first had a severe reaction after a foot surgery. I had a cast on my foot and felt it getting hot and itchy. After about 3 days I went back to doctor, and they took off my cast. I was horrified to see my foot. It felt like it was on fire, blistered, swollen and scaly. I was also told no one had ever had such a severe reaction. Since then I have found, I am allergic to all medical glues and tapes. A few years later I needed to have neck surgery. I told all the doctors and nurses. He didn't use mastisol, but another type of adhesive that was supposed to be hyper allergenic. Not so much. Within hours of surgery I started to get itchy. I remove the dressing on my neck and could see the edges already getting red and blistering. I washed around the incision carefully and took a couple of Benadryl. The next day I went for my check up. When he removed my new clean dressing I was still blistering and getting redder and swollen. He removed the rest of the steri- tapes. He couldn't believe it was so bad. I was given a prescription for steroids but my neck swelled up over the next 2 days so bad that it looked like I had 2 big rolls under my chin. I couldn't wear my neck brace at all. It took a good week to get better and longer for the scars to go away.

I've learned to stay away from all glues and tapes, even bandages irritate my skin. This is also something that has developed in the last few years. Now when I need to have surgery I take a large piece of masking tape, and write on it, NO MASTISOL ,ADHESIVES OR GLUES. I then tape it to my gown.
I feel for you. It is the worst thing I ever seen.
Good Luck

Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
(female)

Delaware2013 HB User

I am amazed at how many sites I've found with respect to allergic reaction to Mastisol where the physicians using the product say they haven't encountered such reactions before or believe the reactions are rare. I had the same severe reaction in 2009 as described by others in this thread when Mastisol was used to make the steri-strips adhere longer after total knee replacement surgery. I had the severe welts, numerous tiny blisters, erythema, horrendous itching, and a red rash over my legs and torso. My orthopedic surgeon said more and more of his patients were having allergic reactions to the Mastisol, and he decided after my severe reaction that he would no longer use it in his practice. My sister had the same extreme reaction 8 or 9 years ago after it was used on her torso (unfortunately, front and back) during reconstructive breast surgery following a mastectomy for breast cancer. In both our cases, when we attempted to contact our doctors' offices to report the reaction, our concerns were downplayed and they thought we were overreacting. However, both physicians were shocked when we returned for follow-up and saw just how severe the reactions truly were. My sister's surgeon said she should have gone to the ER; it was that bad. So, I certainly hope more physicians will take notice and avoid any such adhesive products at least for patients who say they are allergic to adhesive bandages/adhesives.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
(female)

Chrissydd73 HB User

Hi. I had ACDF done on 12/13/12. I too had swelling and redness right after the surgery. I came home Friday and was feeling lots of pain, obviously, but something felt wrong on my neck at the site of the incision. By Monday my neck was very swollen at the site and started oozing. I was in the ER that night. My neurosurgeon came in to the hospital at midnight to find my neck breaking out in blisters around the incision. He said that i had a surface infection on the skin. He also said that I was either having an allergic reaction to the chemicals used to clean my skin or from the biologic glue that was used to keep my incision closed. He had to peel the glue off my neck that night with scissors and tweezers. It was so painful! Once it was off, I immediately felt relief. I was put on an antibiotic to stop the infection from getting worse. It healed with a week or two.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
(female)

terracks HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoday View Post
Thanks!
I had the same reaction to the liquid adhesive. I had two surgeries only 6 weeks apart and had no reaction the first time and a massive reaction the second time.
The entire area under my bandage blistered and became red and very itchy and painful. I sent my surgeon a picture and he had me go directly to emergency where they cleaned the wound and skin and removed the steristips. The doctor had me admitted back into the hospital for the night to observe the incision, and fortunately the infection did not spread into the wound. I asked my surgeon if a different product was used during the first surgery and mentioned that either Mastesol or Benzoin is used. The reaction may have caused my body to revolt as I also broke out in hives which was very painful for about 5 days.

Reply Reply