AngelinMichigan....Hi my name is Lyn. I have posted here several times about my "pseudorarthrosis" (non-union)on C6/7. I had my original fusion surgery on Nov. 29/2003 on C5/6 6/7 and found out 15 months later after still having so much pain (by a CT Myelogram) that C6/7 did not fuse.
The surgeon used a donor bone and a titanium plate and screws. I have tried everything humanly possible to get out of pain, epidurals, steroid injections, Physical Therapy, DRX9000 decompression Machine, Chiropractors, Nerve Ablations and still having the same issues.
Friday I went to see the surgeon who did my original surgery about a possible re-vision surgery. I had gone to an Orthopedic Surgeon in 2010 who wanted to do a re-vision surgery going in via a posterior approach but wanted to have the surgeon who did my original surgery give me his opinion!!!!
He had my MRI, Cat Scans, Flexion Extensions and Myelogram in front of him and "doesn't think that my "pain" is coming from the pseudoarthrosis which the Orthosurgeon calls it "symptomatic"!!!! He is very puzzled!!! He said he would perform the surgery but gives me a 50% chance of getting out of pain
We talked about my symptoms and about my arm pain and my numbness and tingling of my fingers that have been going on since my surgery and he told me to leave my records with him still and that he would still look into it further and talk to his other colleagues and get back to me!!!
He listened to me for 45 minutes (after waiting for him for 3hrs) and was very interested in helping me to get out of pain as he knows that I had no relief from my previous surgery in 2003
I do have a bone spur on the vertabrae above and degeneration going on and arthritis and a few other things but he said nothing that could be causing me the kind of pain I am in!!! He said to give him a week or so and he would call me back!!! I guess I can't ask for more than that!!!
I will wait and see what he comes up with. I have a big decision to make and a 50% chance is better than no chance and a lot more research I guess.
Unless he comes back with something more concrete, I don't think I will go through with the surgery but I do have to think some more as a "posterior surgery is worse than anterior and he would cut through the muscle this time". He said he wouldn't use a piece of bone from my hip, he would use a donor bone again and he said there would be no problem this time fusing?
Well this is the results of my appointment with my neurosurgeon.
Take care all....Lyn in Michigan