It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
(female)

Damaged Daisy HB User
nerve damage after discogram

Has anybody else experienced paralysis and nerve damage in lower half of body after having a discogram? Dr. claims this is a rare injury. I'd love to hear from others who may have similar experience.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: nerve damage after discogram

Sorry to hear this...

May I ask a few questions? (Obviously no one here is a medical professional so we just share thoughts/suggestions to speak with your Dr. about).

How long ago did you have this test?

What are your spine issues and the reason they ordered it?

Where are you having the numbness? Or are you saying you literally cannot walk or move your legs/feet/toes? (If the latter...I would assume you are in the hospital)...

There is always a risk with any procedure or surgery but many times the nerves are affected but not permanently. It can take a few weeks for things to calm back down that's why I wondered how long it's been.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
(female)

Damaged Daisy HB User

The procedure was done in October of 2008. I was paralyzed in excrutiating pain by 2 hours after the procedure, unable to walk or stand. A laminectomy was performed three days later to relieve some of the pressure off the nerves. I can walk (somewhat) today but permanent damage includes having a drop foot and the other a claw foot, toes curled. Also incontinence with bowel and bladder. Physical therapy has occurred off and on over the years.
So far, no Dr has been willing to admit that the dye used in the discogram could have created the damage to my nerves. Actually, nobody can explain what happened at all. My lower spine is now atrophying.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

That's the hard part about that test as they are doing it when there is already spine issues as you had the laminectomy a few days later. What levels were done? Is that the only spine surgery you have had so far?

And are you being seen by a reputable Board Certified Neurosurgeon as well as a PM right now? I would find one that with their help, along with a referral to a good Pain Management Dr., they can work as a team to get to a comfortable place.

One last question...are you on disability or have filed for it already? Or are you able to still work, drive, and do most things? It doesn't sound like you are able to do much at all. I would think that the loss of bowel and urine would have you in the hospital now having them deal with this.

Sorry for the questions...just trying to learn more. The downside to any procedure or test is that we sign our life away beforehand and unless there is gross negligence on the Drs. part, there is always a percentage of things that can go wrong. I've had 3, two-level, cervical fusions and the last one was over 6 hours going in from the front and the back of my neck. As well as the many other surgeries I have had in my life...each time there wasn't a guarantee about the outcome.

I just filed for disability myself last month.

Closed Thread