It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
(male)

Myth1 HB User
Pain and Dispair

For years I've suffered from neck pain and extreme, constant pain at the base of the skull that began many years ago following a severe blow to the top of my head. Through time and many x-rays, X-Ray technicians have often commented on damage in my cervical spine but as each report was published I was told there was nothing wrong, leaving me to wonder who was telling any truths. About two and a half years ago, I was in a very serious auto accident in which I was extricated from my vehicle by removing the roof of my SUV. Once again this young female X-Ray tech, (God Bless her for her Honesty and fortitude) told me that I had sustained a fracture to C1, a fracture to T3 and T9. as well she told me there was and old Fracture to C1 as well. Her honesty was beyond any I've ever witnessed when she told me to make sure when they gave me the results that if the old fracture wasn't mentioned to send the Dr. back to see her. As before One fracture at T3 wasn't in the report as well as the old Fracture was once again neglected so I did as she told me and sent the Dr. back to see her. After 30 years of being kept off the records it was finally added because of her honesty. Nothing was ever done about the so called minor compression fractures but minor they weren't. After seeing a Neurosurgeon there was also crack in C3 discovered as well. Again, he said he would not do anything at this point in time, even though I suffered numbness and tingling in both arms and hands. After two a and half years of Physio, Chiropractic and Massage Therapy a lot of pain and suffering diminished until one month ago when I was struck from behind by a taxi. My SUV sustained virtually no damage but I was blacked out for only a few seconds (unsure the amount of time). After getting out of my vehicle I almost passed out on the street and an Ambulance was called and I taken to the Hospital with severe numbness and tingling to both arms and hands, dizziness, nausea and pain to complete cervical and Lumbar spine. After X-Rays in Emergency I was told there was nothing wrong once again. I was prescribed physio by my family Dr but nether Physio Therapist, Massage Therapist nor Chiropractic DR. would attempt any treatment until further exploration was done because of my severe symptoms. I'm also suffering severe pain at the base of the cervical spine at the junction where a lump is between the shoulder blades. Even though I offered the MRI Technician cash to go down this far she just ignored my plea for her help. Eight weeks later I have the MRI results. which now follows.
C-3-4 A broad based minor disc bulge is noted posterity. This indents the anterior theca but appears non compressive

C4-5 and C5-6 Facet joint degeneration is noted at these levels right greater than left. No significant disc bulge is demonstrated

C6-7 A broad based disc spur complex is noted Posterity and Posterolaterally to the left. This indents the anterior theca. There is likely impingement upon the exiting left C7 nerve root.

Although I've been on Fentanyl 100mcg/h previous to this and increased to 150 mcg/h after plus 2 percocet every 4 hours as well because of failed Lumbar fusion I still suffer from extreme pain, far worse than I've suffered to date. If anyone could shed any light on what I'm enduring I'd be eternally grateful.

Richard

Last edited by Myth1; 08-02-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: mistakes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
(male)

MediMess HB User
Re: Pain and Dispair

I honestly feel for you. I spent 15 years of my life dealing with neck and upper back pain severe enough I was not able to consistently work, this caused me to eventually loose my business and a couple million in income, not to mention the value of the business. After years of pleads and being labeled a drug seeker, even though throught this my primary pain killer was advil only getting vicodin when I tore my rotatory cuff in my left shoulder, I wasn't even able to get a Dr. To give me an MRI or even an x-ray to address the pain in my neck and back and occasional numbness in my hands.
Eventually, due to sheer luck, during an ultrasound of my shoulder, I got the tech to ultrasound the lower part of my neck. She reacted by saying "Oh my God" and walking out of the room. She returned a few minutes later with the Orthopedic Surgeon who proceeded to ultrasound my entire neck and upper spinal area. (Sorry for the long winded story, but it frames my actual reply.)
Up till this point I was in the office to get the ball rolling on surgery to repair my left shoulder. After the ultrasound the Dr. Made a call to get me into an imaging center that day for a full MRI and CT on my neck. He also had the images back to his office and me back in that same day. I'm sure you can understand my concern at the situation, especially considering the Ortho would not fill me as to his concerns.
Finally I was sitting with the Dr. looking at the images when he dropped the bomb. I had a large tumor inside the C5 vertebrae that was compressing my spine to about 10 - 15% of it's normal diameter. The doctor told me " By all rights, I should be paralysed." (Not a phrase I think I will EVER forget.)
I won't get into the tremendously botched surgery, but rather, I'll make the point this narrative was explained to make.
GET AN ATTORNEY, one that has a trusted network of medical professionals that can be trusted to pull all your medical history and properly determine the extent of your injuries. A group that can determine the extent to which the untreated injuries were a threat of catastrophic injury, such as paralysis or death, had you sustained an impact to the damaged areas of your spine.

Just my opinion here, but it sounds to me the only way you are gonna get the medical care you need is to use a law firm to force the point. To me, it sounds like you have had numerous medical professionals simply not notice, ( Incompetent in their job.) Or worse, just not care. Either way it seems to me to be negligence in the extreme, and that negligence has caused you years of pain and needless suffering.

Regardless, I hope you get the help you need. And DON'T BE COMPLACENT. PUSH TILL YOU GET THE TREATMENT YOU NEED... AND THE COMPENSATION YOU DESERVE FOR WHAT YOU HAVE ENDURED.

Good Luck.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
(male)

MediMess HB User

I honestly feel for you. I spent 15 years of my life dealing with neck and upper back pain severe enough I was not able to consistently work, this caused me to eventually loose my business and a couple million in income, not to mention the value of the business. After years of pleads and being labeled a drug seeker, even though throught this my primary pain killer was advil only getting vicodin when I tore my rotatory cuff in my left shoulder, I wasn't even able to get a Dr. To give me an MRI or even an x-ray to address the pain in my neck and back and occasional numbness in my hands.
Eventually, due to sheer luck, during an ultrasound of my shoulder, I got the tech to ultrasound the lower part of my neck. She reacted by saying "Oh my God" and walking out of the room. She returned a few minutes later with the Orthopedic Surgeon who proceeded to ultrasound my entire neck and upper spinal area. (Sorry for the long winded story, but it frames my actual reply.)
Up till this point I was in the office to get the ball rolling on surgery to repair my left shoulder. After the ultrasound the Dr. Made a call to get me into an imaging center that day for a full MRI and CT on my neck. He also had the images back to his office and me back in that same day. I'm sure you can understand my concern at the situation, especially considering the Ortho would not fill me as to his concerns.
Finally I was sitting with the Dr. looking at the images when he dropped the bomb. I had a large tumor inside the C5 vertebrae that was compressing my spine to about 10 - 15% of it's normal diameter. The doctor told me " By all rights, I should be paralysed." (Not a phrase I think I will EVER forget.)
I won't get into the tremendously botched surgery, but rather, I'll make the point this narrative was explained to make.
GET AN ATTORNEY, one that has a trusted network of medical professionals that can be trusted to pull all your medical history and properly determine the extent of your injuries. A group that can determine the extent to which the untreated injuries were a threat of catastrophic injury, such as paralysis or death, had you sustained an impact to the damaged areas of your spine.

Just my opinion here, but it sounds to me the only way you are gonna get the medical care you need is to use a law firm to force the point. To me, it sounds like you have had numerous medical professionals simply not notice, ( Incompetent in their job.) Or worse, just not care. Either way it seems to me to be negligence in the extreme, and that negligence has caused you years of pain and needless suffering.

Regardless, I hope you get the help you need. And DON'T BE COMPLACENT. PUSH TILL YOU GET THE TREATMENT YOU NEED... AND THE COMPENSATION YOU DESERVE FOR WHAT YOU HAVE ENDURED.

Good Luck.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Just a note on your MRI...

"Indent the anterior theca" just means that the disk protrusion (at one level accompanied by bone spurs) is pushing on the thecal membrane, which surrounds the spinal canal. Inside the membrane you have spinal fluid, which provides a cushion for the spinal cord. The radiologist does not believe that the indentations are deep enough to reach the cord.

However, at C6-7 the protrusion is lopsided to the left and is pushing into the foramen (the whole in the spine through which passes the spinal nerve). He believes it's bad enough to be affecting the C7 nerve, which runs down your arm and ends with the middle fingers. This might also be causing pain at the point of impingement (in the neck).

Other than the C7 impingement, there doesn't seem to be anything here that correlates to your terrible symptoms, at least not to my amateur's eyes.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

It amazes me on the treatment or the lack thereof treatment. I think part of the problem is that doctors don't listen and fail to communicate. Yes they are overworked but the end result is poor medical treatment.

I had spine issues for years. In the beginning everytime I had a lower back issue my back would cause me to flex foward to the point that I could not stand erect. I went thru traction and then physical therapy and was fine for a few years. Then I had a reoccurrence and at that point surgery was done due to herniated discs. Then I develped stenosis in the cervical spine.

Then all of a sudeen my lower back acted up again. The 2 surgeries above were done by the same neurosurgeon. I went back to him. His final comments on the lower back and the fact that I could not stand up straight was to lose some weight and take some aspirin. WRONG ADVICE. I ended up walking hunched over for almost 14 months. During that time therapy was tried and didnt work. I ended up in NY with an orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed me with "flatback syndrome" which required surgery including harrington rods and a fusion.

So to tell me take some aspirin was ridiculous. Needless to say the original neurosugreon I never went back to.

Also I was misdiagnosed with Parkinsons disease got a second opinion and both agreed on the diagnosis. Two plus years later I saw another neurologist before going thru spine surgery and told him about the parkinsons as part of my history. He looked at me and said I didnt have Parkinsons disease. That was back in 1997 and every doctor since that time when I gave my history they looked at me like are you nuts. You dont have parkinsons disease.

This all taught me to first find the bast doctors possible under your plan. I personally will go to a major teaching hospital. If I dont like a doctor or have a funny feeling he is not the doctor for me, then my attitude is see you, i'll find someone knew.

I have some great doctors now that are great in that first they are knowledgeable and second of all they listen and you can communicate with them. This doesnt mean you spend 2 hours talking to them. It means you get to the point quickly and directly so that you get the right diagnosis that much faster.

If you feel you are not getting the proper medical treatment and truly believe that you have a medical issue then seek out the best doctor you can and get the proper diagnosis.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
(male)

Myth1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediMess View Post

Good Luck.
Thank You Medimess, I'm astounded when reading of others plights caused by Dr.'s thinking they know all and listen to none, because of this attitude I ended up being classified as disabled and unemployable at 38. I loved working as an HVAC mechanic and was extremely good at and was know as a workaholic until I herniated a disc at L4-5 and a bulged disc L5-S1. It was finally discovered after many Chiropractic sessions when I could no longer walk, so after two weeks bed rest in the Hospital they said it had to be operated on. The surgeon told me beforehand if the bulge was bad enough he would remove both and fuse it at the same time. Well he took out one and a year later I was back where I was. I had just moved and ready to start a new job only to do it a second time without the fusion I had assumed would happen. The pain issue never resolved itself so 4 years later it was fused but never helped too much. I just wish he had done the complete job the first time. That was followed by a stenosis just above the fusion so once again the knife. I'm presently suing Dr.'s and hospital for having missed a major fracture in my foot which resulted in my arch dropping and the bones protruding out the side and bottom of my foot. The end result was a poor reconstructive surgery with a steel plate with six screws and two screws to hold my toes in place. It never ceases to amaze me how we get the short end of the stick. I think if the radiologist were to openly tell you their findings
we would have a much better chance at life.

It amazes me you went all this time with a tumor in C-5, I can only guess the hell you went through with the surgeries. You are correct thought, it seems the only time they take you seriously is when legal action has begun. At least I don't feel so alone in all of this mess, it's just a shame others have gone before me and still nothing changes with Dr,'s. 90% just don't care, they never even try to understand how their incompetence impacts the lives of others, I pray your life has been improving

Old 08-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
(male)

Myth1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
Just a note on your MRI...

"Indent the anterior theca" just means that the disk protrusion (at one level accompanied by bone spurs) is pushing on the thecal membrane, which surrounds the spinal canal. Inside the membrane you have spinal fluid, which provides a cushion for the spinal cord. The radiologist does not believe that the indentations are deep enough to reach the cord.

However, at C6-7 the protrusion is lopsided to the left and is pushing into the foramen (the whole in the spine through which passes the spinal nerve). He believes it's bad enough to be affecting the C7 nerve, which runs down your arm and ends with the middle fingers. This might also be causing pain at the point of impingement (in the neck).

Other than the C7 impingement, there doesn't seem to be anything here that correlates to your terrible symptoms, at least not to my amateur's eyes.
Webdozer, I have to Thank you for this very good answer to what I've been trying to understand. It seems that keeping everyone in the dark even with the answer is the idea displayed by the Dr.'s. Your reply is very clear and simple to understand, thus I now understand this part. I see how this would affect one side with the numbness and tingling or will this affect both sides as this is what's happening. It doesn't explain all the other pain issues but at least one mystery is solved. Once again this report does not read as previos ones have so if I were to add in everything from the others as well things may be easier to figure out, it always depends on whose reading the images. Again Thank you for your knowledgeable help

Last edited by Myth1; 08-05-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Closed Thread