It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
(male)

Alespinal HB User
Question Spinal Stenosis Treatment

I got a daughter (16 years old) who has been recently diagnosed based on the MRI results with a congenital mild spinal stenosis from the C3 to C5 disc levels. The summary of the conclussions was:
- Underlying congenitally narrow spinal canal
- Disc herniations, worse at C3-C4 and C5-C6 levels resulting in mild to moderate spinal stenosis with mild cord compression. No cord edema.

Her doctor prescribed to go through a second MRI in October but would like to know experiences for youngsters around this kind of illness in terms of treatments, potential surgery, rehab vs surgery, mitigate neck pains, physio vs chiropractic or something else that could enlight me what would be an scenario for my kid in the future. She has stopped doing any competitive sport as she was part of the rep volleyball team but suffering neck pain all the time since 3 years ago,

Appreciate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Spinal Stenosis Treatment

Bad luck for your daughter. I have congenital spinal stenosis, too, but I don't think it's all that unusual a condition, unless it's severe. (you could maybe look up "pedicles" and see how their being abnormally short would mean that the canal is too small)

Unfortunately for your daughter, she also has herniated disks. I doubt that there's a cause-effect relationship between the two, but the congenital stenosis does mean that her spinal canal has less room - less leeway, as it were - to keep the herniations from affecting the spinal cord itself.

I suspect that a surgeon would recommend diskectomy and fusion in someone middle-aged or older. Hopefully, being sixteen will provide alternatives, although I'm afraid I can't suggest any.

I would NOT try chiropractic, unless the doc who ordered the MRI says it can't hurt.

Why the wait until October? Is the doc hoping it will get better on its own?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
(male)

Alespinal HB User
Question Re: Spinal Stenosis Treatment

Hi, the reason why the doctor has prescribed another MRI for October is to see whether this disease is getting worse or not in order to set a plan for her. I have seen a report from the "Alvarado Institute" with regards to a Minimal Invasive Surgery for this kind of herniation discs and spinal stenosis but continue seeking for more information about it.

Have you ever tried this surgery and what kind of treatment for pain mitigation you doing for your case.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I've had three surgeries, but the only one that could be called "minimally invasive" was a C5 foraminotomy a few years ago. I don't see how a foraminotomy would meet your daughter's needs, though.

I hope you will post what alternatives you're eventually given by the docs.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
(male)

rv80 HB User

I was also born with a narrow spinal canal and had a laminectomy without fusion / hardware last year when I was 30. Without any pain or other symptoms I started limping terribly with my right leg. Got an MRI and it showed severe stenosis with cord compression on C5,C6 partial C7 with myelopathy already.

I'm also really curious about what options there are for this congenital form of a narrow spinal canal besides having regular checkups and maybe more surgery in the future.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

My advice is to stay away from chiropractors.

There are lot's of people who needed neck surgery cause of chiropractors. They can definatelly make your neck worst than it currently is. Just stay away from them.

PHysical therapy does NOTHING for neck pain, so she can try they won't be able to help her. JUst cause neck is a complicated and too delicate to fix. Once it hurts, they say it's for life.

Closed Thread