It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
(male)

gary5661 HB User
cervical discectomy with possible fusion

hi been waiting for operation now for a long time, and had a phone call monday, as they had a cancellation. ask me to come in tuesday for a pre op assessment. which i passed now i got to go in tomorrow to see consultant i hope he tells me when the op will be.
once ive had this op cervical discectomy at c5-c6 possible fusion, whats the pain like after it, as im pretty ok at moment managing it with pain killers, but its still week and would like to stop taking drugs everyday,
just wondering how you are when you come round will i be in a neck brace,
any advice on the matter would be great, and by the way am having this on nhs

Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: cervical discectomy with possible fusion

I'm afraid the answers to all your questions are conditional. They depend on the specifics of the surgery, and they depend even more on the skill of the surgeon. I guess I should add that it's important that you're getting the right KIND of surgery, that it really addresses your various issues comprehensively.

One of my three surgeries was a single-level ACDF, although it was so long ago that I don't remember it well. I'd expect to be rather uncomfortable and fragile-feeling for a couple of weeks, but then things should get much better.

Last edited by WebDozer; 08-15-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
(male)

Billystiffneck HB User
Thumbs up Re: cervical discectomy with possible fusion

Hi Garry
I had ACDF nine months ago at C4/C5 the surgeon did not use screws and plates but somthing called Peek cage .
I had the oparation on Friday morn-- 8.30 work up at 11.00 on pain meds .Saturday I could turn my head and did not need a neck collar, ok when i was up right.
On Sunday after noon i was home only had pain when i tryed to lied down in the bed to sleep and geting out of the bed so i slept in my electric recliner chair whitch i had got ready for,anyway I was off pain killers on Tuseday ond haven't taken any since. It took me about a month and a bit before I could sleep in my bed .
Anyway had to wait 3 months before i could go back to work - driving-, it took a bit longer but been back for 3 months now.
So If you need it done go for it.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
(male)

gary5661 HB User
Re: cervical discectomy with possible fusion

hi thanks for the reply, im waiting for operation now had pre op done last week but wont be having the op till the beginning of october, cant wait to stop taking pain meds the doctor said that he was putting a cage in, must be the same thing as what you had.
hope i recover as fast as you was hoping to go back to work after two weeks, im a forklift truck driver.
doesnt sound like that will be the case as for sleeping in the bed didnt think that i wouldnt be able to

Closed Thread