It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
(female)

Pwalla57 HB User
6 weeks post posterior foraminotomy c5,6

6 weeks ago I had a bilateral foraminotomy at c5,6. They cut out bone spurs on both sides of my foramen. They cut through some muscle. I have an earlier post I did when I was 3 days out . In the hospital my pain could not be relieved. About 1 month ago I went on 20mg of OxyContin every 12 hours that helped my pain tremendously however the side effects are horrible . I cut back to 10mgs about 2 weeks ago. In between the oxy's I'll take Tylenol and/or roxycodone. Even 10 mg of OxyContin every 12 hours gives me hot/cold chills every minute. Today I'm trying to wean my 9 am dose and take 800mg ibuprofen and one more 6 hours later then my normal 10mg of oxy at 9pm. I have absolutely no energy. I'm discouraged. I know I'm just 6 weeks post, but I can hardly get out of my chair. I take small walks but has anyone gone through a long recovery like this. Feb 29 this year I had acdf at c7-t1 and recovered but because of this other problem still had pain in c5,6.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: 6 weeks post posterior foraminotomy c5,6

I'm really sorry to hear that, not least because I have always thought of foraminotomies as minimally invasive procedures with minimal post-op complications.

I wonder if there was something special about your case, or maybe you just got a lousy and/or inexperienced surgeon.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I'm really sorry to hear that, not least because I have always thought of foraminotomies as minimally invasive procedures with minimal post-op complications.

I wonder if there was something special about your case, or maybe you just got a lousy and/or inexperienced surgeon.....

Old 08-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
(female)

Pwalla57 HB User

Dozer I have total faith in my surgeon. He is chief of neuroscience and the spine center for Stanford . He has been honest and conservative. He told me at follow up, which I was aware of,that I have 2 more bulging discs at c5,6 and c6,7 and bones spurs at c6,7. But he didn't think they were bad enough to fuse and wanted to see if this would solve my pain.Therefore the conservative treatment. So I don't know. He said by the end of November he'll do another MRI and see how it looks and if it's worse then we will see what my pain is like and he might fuse my c5,6 and do an ADR at c6,7 since my c7-t1 he already did. He has been so wonderful. I know one of my bone spurs they cut out was big. So maybe they had to cut into muscle deeper, that might be causing the pain. I don't know. My goal right now is to get off the OxyContin and see if I can work with my pain management doctor and see what alternatives are. Thank you for replying.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

I have been thru cervical and lumbar surgery. Several surgeries on both areas.

Cervical Surgery:

- foramenal stenosis;
- kyphosis with harrington rods; 2 day surgery total 12 horus

Lumbar surgery:

- herniated discs;
- flatback syndrome with harrington rods.

Between the 2 surgeries I always found the recovery time on the cervical area a long longer and more painful then the lumbar surgery. After I had the first cervical surgery I remember getting out of bed to go to the bathroom which was 10 feet away. I had to crawl back to bed and had trouble getting back to bed. I don't know how I ever did it since I was home alone after the surgery. I found in time things became easier and easier. Give it time and I think you will see progress for the better. good luck.....

Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
(female)

crazywithpain HB User

I hade c5/6 ACDF Oct 2011 and recovery was not too bad. Now Im having anterior c5 & c6 corpectomy, c4/5 & c6/7 fusion, and posterior wiring on Dec 10 2012. Ive heard that going through the back is always worse. Im sorry that you having such a hard time. Ive been trying to prepare for the pain. Most people I talk to are surprised that Im so much done. Im in pain everyday and those who never experienced this type of pain really dont understand. I pray for everyone here.

Closed Thread

Tags
pain management, spinal & foraminal stenosis, spinal cord