It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
(female)

Debz99 HB User
MRI results

Hello Im a newbie !

I have been treated for frozen shoulder and then had manipulation of the shoulder under general anesthetic with no improvement. Then I started getting pins and needles in both of my hands and had carpel tunnel surgery last year which again has not made the slightest difference, the Osteo consultant decided to do an MRI of my neck and found I have posterior disc osteophytic complex at C5/6 causing relative canal stenosis and chord enchroachment bilaterally at C6.I was referred to Kings College Hospital and they looked at my notes and said I did not qualify for surgery or any other medical help as there was no nerve compression. My Gp has disagreed as the bone spur is pressing on my spinal chord so I have nerve compression and so has written to them again but as yet have heard nothing. I get very little decent sleep as I am woken with the pins and needles hourly and my left shoulder and arm to the elbow is relatively uncomfortable, now I am getting the same pain in my right shoulder and arm as well. Some days I can hardly turn my neck to the right feels like a stiff neck. just to add to things I have started getting pins and needles in my feet and goose bumps down my left leg, When I go from sitting to standing to walk it takes a couple of seconds to register to move it feels like my legs are heavy and I struggle to move them. my Gp thinks this needs separate investigation and thinks I have some lower back issues as well. Your comments and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Debz

Last edited by Debz99; 09-02-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: MRI results

Do you have the actual wording of the MRI report?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: MRI results

No offense to your GP...but he is not qualified nor trained in any type of spine issues unless he has switched his practice recently and used to be a Board Certified Neurosurgeon or BC Orthopedic surgeon.

The absolute best trained Dr. to seek out for cervical spine issues is the BC Neurosurgeon.

I have had 3, two-level, cervical fusions over the last 11 years. And when I first had issues I was seeing a BC Ortho and he is the one who recommended I go to the Neuro as he said he specializes more in lumbar problems so I would be better helped by a different Dr.

And surgery is not something that should ever be gone into lightly or as the first means of treatment...So if your MRI was looked at by Neuros at the Kings College Hospital and they are saying surgery isn't recommended right now...that is a great thing..

That doesn't mean you don't need treatment.

There is traction
physical therapy
injections
round of steroids (Medrol dose pack)
TENS unit

And use of nerve pain medication like Lyrica, Neurontin, or Cymbalta

Or a muscle relaxer like Flexeril, Robaxin, Skelaxin, or Baclofen...

The pins and needles pain is usually from nerve pain and this is where the medications I listed are most helpful. An opiate or any other type of medication does not target nerve pain like they do.

The muscle relaxer is used specifically for that type of pain...Soreness, aching, dull throbbing.

So....I would make sure first that your MRI has been viewed and you meet/speak with at least one or two BC Neurosurgeons and have them recommend what treatments in what order should be given from here.

The good news is that 85% of all spine/disc issues can be taken care of non surgically. The downside of being on boards like these or searching online is that you are going to see more of the 15% of people who haven't had success with those treatments or even surgery. Most everything online is slanted more towards the negative (even for buying a new car or tv!)...LOL....As people who are happy and have little to no pain are out living their lives and not posting online..

So just take everything with a grain of salt. Seek out the most highly trained Drs...let them work with you on using the most modalities to hopefully avoid having any type of surgery.

I still have active, severe, herniations in both my cervical and lumbar region with many bone spurs, spinal stenosis, and other issues. But both my Neuro and I agree that we will not do anymore surgery unless absolutely necessary under threat of paralysis.

Good luck and keep us posted..

Closed Thread