It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
(male)

wlcasper HB User
Cervical Epidural Injection Site

Went in for an injection this morning. My problem area is left C3-C4 and right C5-C6. When I checked in the procedure was for C7-T1. I was told by the physician that there is more room at this level and that the steroids will travel up the spine. When I asked him why he didn't explain the level he was going to inject he said that most patients don't care, they just know they are having a spinal injection. I cancelled because it was not what I was expecting. Anyone have this same experience? Just didn't feel right.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Cervical Epidural Injection Site

Its been awhile since I went thru any injections. While I have cervical and lumbar issues, all my epidurals were directed towards the lumbar area.

As to where it was to be done; specific levels; I really can't say that the subject ever came up. Wha they told you as to where the injection was going to be done; sort of makes sense to me.

Its like my orthopedic surgeon telling me that while I may be having the pain lets say in the lumbar area; the problem may actually be comeing from a level higher up.

Unfortunatly for me injections never really worked. I would go thru one injection; have some relief for a very short period of time; so I would go thru the 2nd one. And the 2nd injection did nothing for me so we never did the 3rd one. This was the case several times, so I pretty much gave up on injections.

Yet I have heard some people having pretty good success with injections where they were effective for long periods of time. So you have to make a decision on a case by case basis as to whether they worthwhile or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User
Re: Cervical Epidural Injection Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcasper View Post
Went in for an injection this morning. My problem area is left C3-C4 and right C5-C6. When I checked in the procedure was for C7-T1. I was told by the physician that there is more room at this level and that the steroids will travel up the spine. When I asked him why he didn't explain the level he was going to inject he said that most patients don't care, they just know they are having a spinal injection. I cancelled because it was not what I was expecting. Anyone have this same experience? Just didn't feel right.
The norm is to inject them at a level lower than where the problem is. Your doctor is not doing anything wrong.

That being said I will never have another epidural. In my case it caused major scar tissue at both levels that had herniated discs removed and caused the extruded disc to adhere to the dura and the surgeon had to dissect it off. He did say my case was unusual in that it was at both levels so I am not the norm I guess. However, one of my neighbors had an acdf a few years back and was told by her surgeon he was glad she never had epidurals because they make things worse.

Closed Thread