It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Long term effect of myelomalacia

Hi all. I've been trying to do some research on myelomalacia & have found some information but not sure it is what I am really looking for.

I know myelomalacia is a softening of the spinal cord. But I am not sure if I am understanding the long term effects. From what I am reading it doesnt sound good.

First of all, I have had numerous surgeries on my cervical & lumbar spine. I have Harrington Rods from C3 to T4 and from L2 down to the iliac crest.

I have had issues with stenosis; herniated discs; flatback syndrome and kyphosis.

In the last EMG is showed severe arthritis in the cervical and lumbar regions; severe nerve damage in the cervical and lumbar region and peripheral neuropathy.

As to symptoms I have weakness in both my upper extremities. My neurosurgeon has seen a decrease in my arms neurologically. I feel the weakness and can feel it in my hands as well like a tingling effect.

In my legs I have severe numbness in my left leg from the knee down and some numbness in my right leg/foot region. I have balance issues.

In an MRI of the cervical spine it showed myelomacia at c6/7. One thing to note my neurosurgeon compared my MRI films from 1998 to 2011. the Myelomalcia was present in 1998 but has progressed somewhat to the most present films. WE plan on doing another MRI in 2013 for another comparison.

The neurosurgeon is concerned about the findings. But he is concerned about doing surgery on me first because of all the other surgeries, also i have other health issues such as diabetes; congenitaL absent left kidney and kidney disease of the right kidney.

In order for him to do surgery on the c6/7 level that would require going thru the sterum to each get to the area to do any surgery.

I know the nerve damage i have cannot be corrected. That is forever lost. But the concern is if nothing is done and the myelomalacia continues then what? More nerve damage? Can this lead to more weakness in my arms. I know I dont have full use of my arms now. But if it continues then what? Is there a chance of some form of paralysis?

Any thoughts, suggestions; comments? thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Long term effect of myelomalacia

I likely have some myelomalacia from a problem 16 years ago, but it does not seem to have progressed....

Closed Thread