It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
(male)

ed48 HB User
ACDF c6/c7 single level fusion-Desperate for Any Positive Stories of Success

Any first-hand or second-hand positive stories on ACDF? A lot of what I see on the web is fully negative or partly negative, which is fine, but I would love to hear words of encouragement. I will appreciate any stories----

I now have multiple professional opinions and unfortunately, it is time for acdf in 9 days. It is single level acdf c6-c7 and cadaver bone with titanium plate is the "hardware". I have tried everything else, I have researched, and I am on the road to having permanent nerve damage if I do not do this. I have no neck pain going in to this surgery just radiating pain from shoulder blade down to left hand including my arm--arm has so much pain. I am aware of the negative aspects of this surgery, but I just wanted to see a positive story.

I am pretty scared. This surgery is due to a blown out ruptured disc that occured in March and unfotunately, nerve is severly impinged so the nonsurgery route is not an option. I really hope that there is someone out there with words of confidence and positive stories. I have no other medical conditions and I am not overweight and the surgeon says this all helps. I would greatly appreciate your input. thanks

Last edited by ed48; 09-17-2012 at 05:10 AM. Reason: I was told by admin there was something about offboard contact/did not see that but removed where I asked 4 input

Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: ACDF c6/c7 single level fusion-Desperate for Any Positive Stories of Success

I had a single-level ACDF sixteen ago and it went fine. I have no doubt that surgical techniques have improved since then.

Keep in mind that anecdotal evidence on the Internet will always be heavily slanted to the negative. It's just the nature of the beast.

Just my opinion, but if you had a ruptured disk in March, you should be wishing your surgery was sooner, rather than later...

Last edited by WebDozer; 09-17-2012 at 05:59 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
ed48 (09-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
(male)

ed48 HB User
Re: ACDF c6/c7 single level fusion-Desperate for Any Positive Stories of Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
I had a single-level ACDF sixteen ago and it went fine. I have no doubt that surgical techniques have improved since then.

Keep in mind that anecdotal evidence on the Internet will always be heavily slanted to the negative. It's just the nature of the beast.

Just my opinion, but if you had a ruptured disk in March, you should be wishing your surgery was sooner, rather than later...
Thanks, that eases my mind quite a bit. I see your surgery went well, but does that mean that the radiculopathy ended with the surgery? To clarify--the radiculopathy resulting from issues with that disc, since you may have other discs bad now, but just wondered if the surgery is still holding at that level. Hey, thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I had a variety of symptoms, a couple of which got completely better. However, the ruptured disk caused a bit of myelomalacia, which is permanent cord damage. Those symptoms really have not improved, but they aren't a big deal.

Your going six months after your injury is not so good. I was told by neurosurgeons that six months was something of a cutoff for when temporary damage becomes permanent. I think that's extremely variable, though.

I'm betting that you will wake up from the op and your arm pain will be gone...

Last edited by WebDozer; 09-17-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
(male)

ed48 HB User

The 6 months is the total time when I started having trouble with that disc and the residual issues not necessarily from a full rupture at the start, the neurosurgeon said it had either bulged a bit or slightly torn on March 28th or so and the pain was not quite as bad then, that healed by May and strength returned and on July 16th the disk fully ruptured and I have been pretty bad since. There was a big difference in July so I knew it ruptured then and myelogram confirmed it. The atrophy and such with nerve issues really started then in July. Hopefully in that case, I have a better chance. My doctor thinks I do so here is hoping. Thank you again!

Closed Thread