It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
(male)

braveneck HB User
bad arm pain from neck?

I've been avoiding the neck surgery for years. Now the pain is getting really bad in my right arm. So bad that simply wiping off a counter top just caused me big pain. This makes me angry and scares the hell out of me at the same time. I really don't want a fusion, but my insurance won't pay for disc replacement, I'm fairly sure. The arm pain is probably because of the neck, right? Could it be something else?

Old 09-18-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: bad arm pain from neck?

RIGHT arm pain??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
(male)

braveneck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
RIGHT arm pain??
Yes, bad pain in my right arm. Pain in both arms now, but much worse in the right arm.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Your MRI from four years ago indicated that you could benefit from a PCF, and a doc even suggested that to you.

Why is that now, four years later, you haven't gotten a PCF (which is relatively non-invasive procedure with a relatively quick recovery period)? And if you need an ACDF now, why are you holding out for an artificial disk? There's a reason, after all, that the insurance companies won't pay for those...

Last edited by WebDozer; 09-18-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
(male)

braveneck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
Your MRI from four years ago indicated that you could benefit from a PCF, and a doc even suggested that to you.

Why is that now, four years later, you haven't gotten a PCF (which is relatively non-invasive procedure with a relatively quick recovery period)? And if you need an ACDF now, why are you holding out for an artificial disk? There's a reason, after all, that the insurance companies won't pay for those...
I don't even recall what a PCF is. They have always wanted to do the fusion, right from the start. But I keep reading that the disc replacement is better for a number of reasons, the biggest reason being that the adjacent levels can remain unaffected and less likely to blow out. I read the horror stories here about fusions, screws and plates loose, bone that won't fuse, long term pain, and then more surgeries when the discs above and below go out as well. In fact, from my research, the disc replacement seems to be superior in every way, more mobility, more like the original disc, and a less difficult procedure. So why don't the insurance companies allow the disc replacement?

Old 09-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

PCF = Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy - which I didn't know until I read it in one of your posts.

Why don't you go back to the doc who suggested that, get a new MRI, and see if he thinks one is still a good idea.

As for why insurance companies don't pay for disk replacement.... it's BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO HAVE ONE. Why? Because THEY DON'T TRUST THEM. Isn't that obvious?

Closed Thread