It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User
When to have Surgery? Cervical Spinal Stenosis

Hi my name is Karen or Blondie, and I am a 68 year old professional dancer with a very bad back. I currently have two fusions of my cervical spine which have fused by themselves. The neurosurgeon said I have severe stenosis and one vertbra is trying to move but is sideways and is pressing on a nerve root. I am not in horrible pain like I had with my hip before I had a hip resurface. He said the canal is narrowing and it is my call when i feel I need the surgery or not. He said one surgery would take care of it, but i have smptoms down my arms, fingers and neck of tingling and like sleeping....no numbness and then it travels to the right leg and into the knee....burning and stickers. I can live with the pain, but would surgery make me better? How do I know that there is not a problem with the lower lumbar spine since there was before again stenois and spondy? He says it is cervical.....please any advice would be of help. I am in no mans land! I am 5'1" and weigh 103 and in good shape. I do Pilates with a trainer on the equipment and it has saved my life so far. I work at a computer 43 hours a week and am stressed . I do computer website and Social Media marketing for dentists and doctors and they are stressful to work with! Blondie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: When to have Surgery? Cervical Spinal Stenosis

<< He said one surgery would take care of it, but i have smptoms down my arms, fingers and neck of tingling and like sleeping....no numbness and then it travels to the right leg and into the knee....burning and stickers. I can live with the pain, but would surgery make me better?>>

What docs usually say is that surgery will keep you from getting worse. Likely make you better, as well, although that's less certain. What is relatively certain is that the longer nerve/cord impingement is allowed to go on, the greater the likelihood of irreparable damage.

<< How do I know that there is not a problem with the lower lumbar spine since there was before again stenois and spondy? >>

You really don't, and neither does the doc. All he can do is look at the cervical and lumbar MRI's and go with the percentages. Since you have symptoms in your arms, you KNOW you have a cervical problem, and a problem with the cervical CORD (as opposed to cervical nerve roots) CAN cause problems in the legs. I suppose the logical thing, if you're going to have surgery, is to first work on the level that you know is problematic, then reevaluate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: When to have Surgery? Cervical Spinal Stenosis

I have had stenosis problems in both the cervical and lumbar regions. In 1995 I had surgery in the cervical area for stenosis of not the central canal but the foramen. Surgery to decompress was done and I was fine. I do have stenosis in the lumbar region as well.
I have been thru 7 spine surgeryes. Unfortunately with each surgery a new issue arose. The surgery that was done was fine but lo and behold a new issue would crop up over time.
I now have narrowing of the central canal at C6/7.
One of my surgeons told me that while you may have issues at lets say the cervical area it can produce symptoms in the lower areas.
The feelings you are getting in your legs are they connected to the cervical issues? That I cannot answer.
My thought is that it would be best to get an MRI of the other areas as well to see if anything is going on. Since you are complaining of leg issues my belief is to rule out anything else. Just my opinion. Good luck

Closed Thread