It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
(male)

gary5661 HB User
ADCF wondering what to expect

just reading post by adamlh about getting ready for his wifes c5/c6 discectomy with fusion, im having this procedure at the same level on the
2nd of Octorber, reading all the stuff they're getting and bars to get on toilet starting to get bit nervous thought id be back in work after 2 weeks 4 max.
my surgeon is giving me a soft collar afterwards for comfort and said dont pick up anything heavy for first couple of weeks,
i should have asked more questions when i was having a consultation, but i didnt,
so if i can id like to ask them here
why cant i lift anything heavy as i thought my neck would be stabilised with
the fusion.

how do you feel when you come round from this operation
are you able to move your head
can you walk around once the aneathetic wears off
what do they use for pain relief afterwards
will i be able to get up and down stairs

thanks thats all i can think of at the moment

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: ADCF wondering what to expect

<< why cant i lift anything heavy as i thought my neck would be stabilised with
the fusion>>

I had a single-level ACDF sixteen years ago (when, one would think, they were not as good at ACDF's as they are now), and the surgeon told me that my neck was not in jeopardy because of the hardware. Maybe they've since found out that's not necessarily true. No reason not to be a little cautious.

<< how do you feel when you come round from this operation >>

Fragile, but not for long.

<< are you able to move your head >>

Of course.

<< can you walk around once the aneathetic wears off >>

yes

<< what do they use for pain relief afterwards >>

I don't remember, but I'm sure I didn't use anything strong, or even narcotic.

<< will i be able to get up and down stairs >>

Assuming you plan to WALK up and down them, yes.

A lot depends on how good, and how experienced, your surgeon is. My (admittedly paltry) understanding of the NHS is that you don't have much choice, so I hope you are not unlucky.

You might want to put things you'll need somewhere you don't have to reach up for them. Also, it may be better if you have a recliner to sleep in, although I don't remember sleeping in one after my operation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
(male)

gary5661 HB User

im a forklift driver on a busy dock in wales loading and unloading lorries, when i asked my surgeon when would i be able to go back to work he said 6 weeks but absolute minimum 2 weeks as he understands im the main earner in my household. the job requires a lot of tuning my head climbing in and out of the forklift the surface is very uneven, and after 6 weeks id be able to return to normal activities like weightlifting etc,
but reading the posts here this doesnt seem to be the case will that cage move in my neck if i lift anything too heavy

Old 09-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I really don't know the answer to that. My surgeon told me the same thing your did. I suspect it has a lot to do with how good a job the surgeon does, although you have no way of knowing that.

Maybe you can find someone like a kinesiologist (or just a physical therapist) who can instruct you on how not to put a load on your neck when you're lifting. As for turning your head, maybe you should just tell everyone you work with not to get behind you...

Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

I had a 2 level fusion and I didn't need bars to use the toilet.
As for your questions:
why cant i lift anything heavy as i thought my neck would be stabilised with
the fusion. Because it can cause the instrumentation to come lose until the fusion is stable which can take a few months.

how do you feel when you come round from this operation-I had a sore throat from the tube they stick in your throat to help you breathe during surgery and my neck muscles were sore. I had arthroscopic knee surgery 8 weeks after the ACDF and the pain from that was worse than the ACDF.

are you able to move your head-Had a collar on so no.

can you walk around once the aneathetic wears off-Yes, they want you to get up and walk around ASAP after the surgery.

what do they use for pain relief afterwards-I had Norco and valium but like I said, the main pain is from muscle spasms in the back of your neck.

will i be able to get up and down stairs-yes. They will have a occupational therapist and physical therapist see you before discharge to show you how to logroll off the bed, how to use a toilet, how to go up and down the stairs and other things you need to know.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
(male)

gary5661 HB User

glad to hear they dont just send you home after operation. and thanks for answering my questons

Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary5661 View Post
glad to hear they dont just send you home after operation. and thanks for answering my questons

Believe it or not some ACDFs are done in an outpatient setting. So yes, sometimes they do just send you home after surgery.

You should ask your surgeon-if he says AM admit it means you will be in the hospital till at least the next day.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
(male)

gary5661 HB User

ive got to go in at 11 on monday for my operation on tuesday so dont know when they will do it be good if i was out tuesday

Old 09-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
(female)

Nittany168 HB UserNittany168 HB UserNittany168 HB User

I was admitted last Tuesday at 1pm, surgery 3pm-7:30pm, sent home at 9am Wednesday total 20 hrs for a 3 level ACDF. They were stripping the bed while I was still in the room. It'll be interesting to see how much they charge the insurance co. I was told that one level was outpatient, 2-4 was overnight. Good luck in your surgery, I was very scared, but so far it hasn't been too bad.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
(male)

gary5661 HB User

hi nittany what is the pain like please

Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
(female)

Nittany168 HB UserNittany168 HB UserNittany168 HB User

Pain, at what point?? Right after surgery, they kept me pretty drugged up. At home I've been on 20mg hydrocodone. Now, a little more than a week later, I'm taking 10 mg hydrocodone every 4-6 hrs, and the pain isn't too bad. But my pain before the surgery was awful, and that pain is mostly gone now. I need to sleep and rest a lot now, but I'm hoping that goes away soon too. I can't say it has been pain free, but its been controllable. I hope this helped

Old 09-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #12
(male)

ed48 HB User

Everyone is different, so they say. Anyhow, I see you have received a lot of responses--good for you! I got a couple--if that--I must not be one of the cool members.lol Anyhow, this is my experience and not med advice. My surgery was monday the 24th of this week. I had immediate relief from the radicular pain the minute I "came to" after surgery. I had a sore throat for a couple days and stayed overnight at hospital. I did not take hydro, and was given t3s for the days of recovery at home. I did not need them. I am 4 days out and no pain at all, even from the surgery itself. No pain in between the shoulders for me, which I was told I would get, and no pain near the incision. I am not sure why others have so many issues as I honestly feel I can do anything right now. I can turn my head-have to be careful with that of course and certainly do not to that often at all- and walk around and pick up very light things like books, but nothing more. I will not drive or lift anything until my doc says I can, even though I feel normal right now. I had c6-c7 one level acdf. It went smooth and for me no issues. You will probably get a soft collar as I did. I was told to wear for 2 days and as needed after that, but I am not sure I needed it that long. I do wear it to bed and during most of the day, but take breaks here and there. With respect to pm, I was given T3s as stated and valium. I hated the valium and took only the first day and then half a pill at night but quit that because it made me a zombie even in low doses. I rarely need the t3s. I was offered stronger pm, like norco or oxy but I declined as not necessary in my case only. The hydro in the norco makes me itch. Anyhow, the horror stories on line scared me to the point of not wanting the surgery, which in my case would have been a big mistake. I am almost 100 percent and see a future now. This is my case only and hope you have the same luck. Please ask any questions if you have them and I wish you the best. God bless!!

Old 09-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

All great to hear, Ed... I suspect that your situation is by far the most common, but since this is a board for people to ask about problems, that's what we're more likely to see here.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
(male)

gary5661 HB User

operation tuesday got to be in hospital for 11am tomorrow, dont know why starting to ****** myself now hope it all goes well thanks all for responses and ill update how it was once im able to

Closed Thread