It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
(male)

timtam HB User
Neck Pain

In the past month or more I have been experiencing a nagging stiffness and pain on the right side of my neck. It feels almost like a muscle cramp that will not disappear. Although it has been consistently present, its intensity varies, that is, sometimes itís severe, other times it is barely noticeable. At first I thought it might be that not so uncommon stiffness and temporary pain one can get from sleeping in a bad position, but I ruled that out when the discomfort didnít vanish after a few days. Then I thought perhaps it may be an arthritic type problem that comes with the aging process (I just turned 70 years of age) and will have to learn to live with it? I have two older brothers that suffer from arthritis. Or could the cause be because I do a great deal of writing and tend to be on the computer and laptop a good five or six hours a day (sometimes more). The problem with that self-diagnosis is that Iíve sat in that same chair, in essentially the same position, and before a computer just about daily for nearly 20 years. Why would such a problem surface now?
I fully realize the difficulty of diagnosing from a distance but any speculation or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and could save me time or money. If the pain or discomfort continues or threatens my physical ability to write, I would like to avoid daily ingestion of ibuprofen or similar pain medications (I already am taking low-dose aspirin daily for other reasons) and will see my Primary Care Physician for the usual referral, which brings me to the next question. What is the preferred specialty for such a problem? Orthopedic physician? Chiropractic? Iíve even heard thereís something called Feldenkrais, an alternative approach that can be effective for these types of problems. Many thanks in advance for you input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
(male)

Caspar HB User
Re: Neck Pain

According to me you should stretch your neck at morning this is the easy and good way to reduce the neck problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Caspar For This Useful Post:
timtam (09-30-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I would go with a physiatrist or maybe an orthopedist. I wouldn't start with a chiropractor if I had not ruled out conditions that chiropractory might exacerbate.

Do you have any odd symptoms in your right shoulder/arm/hand?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

I have EXACTLY what you have. Nagging stiffness and pain on the left side of my neck. Feels like a muscle cramp that will never dissappear. and guess what, it is the true, it never goes away once it's started. There is not much you can do about it and surgery will not take the pain away.

Sound so much like my problem. You probably have bulging disks and straightening of the lurdosis.

When you rest your neck on the pillow, do you feel pain? and ever been in a car accident?

I have never met anyone who has the same problem as I have that is why I am asking if you have ever been in a car accident. I am not trying to be rude, just curious.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #5
(female)

fromptok HB User

Has anyone ever mentioned torticollis to you? I went to dr in '06 with these same symptoms...and was dx with torticollis. Mine is not a constant, nagging pain all the time, it just shows up every now and then...like right now! Does is ever feel like your neck is spasming? I call myself a "bobble-head" when it occurs...just feels like my neck and head are wiggling when in certain positions. This is very painful and very hard to function and usually lasts around 5 days with me. I had been getting it on my right side but this most recent episode is on my left. My dr prescribed muscle relaxers and pain med...doesn't really help, all it does is give you some relief to be able to sleep a while. Did you ever find out what was wrong?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
(male)

timtam HB User

Never had a car accident. The pain I described has largely disappeared, although the initial cause still remains a mystery to me. Here's hoping it won't return. Many thanks for your input and concern.

Closed Thread