It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
(male)

CharlotteY HB User
Neck Pain, Dizziness, leg tingling, bulging disc. Help w/ MRI report?

Six months ago I was doing vigorous sit-ups, holding up my neck with my hands. Shortly thereafter, my neck started hurting on one specific point on the back left side. When I pushed there, I felt pain below my left ear. I also started getting dizzy where it feels like I am rocking back and forth or the room is slowly rotating. The left side of head also feels tingling or a strong pressure sensation. I also have a tingling sensation in my left leg and foot.

All known vestibular issues were ruled out. I had a recent cervical MRI. Will someone please help me understand it? I further want to know if anyone else has had similar symptoms associated with a similar MRI?

C2-3: Small central disc osteophyte complex without spinal canal or neural foraminal stenosis.

c3-4: Central disc osteophyte complex effaces ventral thecal sac and touches the cord. AP canal diameter is mildly narrowed 0.9 cm. Bilateral mild unconvertebral joint hypertrophy without high-grade foraminal stenosis.

c4-5: Broad-based disc osteophyte complex with a tiny central component. Effaces the ventral thecal sac and touches the cord. AP canal diameter is preserved at 1.0 cm. Mild unconvertebral joint hypertrophy without foraminal stensosis.

C5-6: Broad-based disc osteophyte complex effaces the ventral thecal sac and mildly flattens the cord. The AP canal diameter is mildly narrowed at 0.9 cm. Mild uncovertebral joint hypertrophy without foraminal stenosis

c6-7: Left paracentral disc protrusion, with partially covering osteophyte, measures approx 1.0 cm in length and 0.3 cm in depth. Effaces the ventral thecal sac and contours the cord on the left. The central spinal canal is mild to moderately narrowed to 0.8 cm, with more prominent asymmetric left-sided canal narrowing. There is moderate narrowing of the entry to the left neural foramen. Mild right-sided uncovertebral joint hypertrophy with mild right-sided foraminal stenosis.

Would the ruptured c6-7 disc cause my pain higher on my neck and the related dizziness? Would it also cause my left leg to tingle. I also have slight numbness in my left fingers and intermittent left scapular pain.

My neuro-surgeon thinks I need surgery on c6-7, but I want some at least reasonable assurance that my higher-up neck pain and constant swaying/rocking sensation are due to c6-7.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Neck Pain, Dizziness, leg tingling, bulging disc. Help w/ MRI report?

C6-7 definitely would seem to be too low to be affecting your head, but I'm hardly an expert. Your symptoms, if coming from cervical nerves, ought to be coming from the C1-3 levels.

What kind of surgery did the doc want to do at C6-7? If an ACDF, I'm a little surprised he did not want to do C5-6 - at least - at the same time.

Last edited by WebDozer; 09-27-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
(male)

CharlotteY HB User

Thank you, Webdozer,

The surgeon talked about using a cadaver bone at c6-7. What in my MRI surprises you that he didn't mention doing the level above at the same time? I am new to this so I don't know what to ask him. (I have an appt tomorrow so need to know what to ask...) I've been trying to read more so I am better informed. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

So he wants to do an ACDF. The C5-6 level has the same problems as C6-7. The cord IS BEING IMPACTED. Not quite as bad, but one might guess that it's heading in that direction. C4-5, too. So I wouldn't be surprised if a surgeon decides to split the difference and do the two worst, hoping to avoid another surgery in a few years.

Anyway, I'll chant my usual refrain.... get a second opinion. Not because I think this doc is wrong, but because your spinal cord is way more important than his feelings or a few hours of your time.

I would also ask both docs about the recovery time from the operation, and wearing a collar and other restrictions. If a doc says something like, you'll be in a collar for 2-3 months, be wary. he might not be all that good a surgeon...

Last edited by WebDozer; 09-27-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
(male)

CharlotteY HB User

Thank you for the further information. I will certainly ask the surgeon about his opinion. I am a woman in my mid-40s without a history of trauma (other than my sit-ups). Does my MRI sound "bad" in relation to others who have posted here?

Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

<< Does my MRI sound "bad" in relation to others who have posted here? >>

Certainly not compared to mine

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/904688-my-pre-laminoplasty-mri.html

Closed Thread