It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Severe cervical spinal stenosis

So glad you are doing well and the CSF leak closed off on its own. It is always encouraging to hear of successful surgeries and experiences with our Drs and healthcare system! Hope your recovery is quick and your pain is relieved!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #32
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcobra View Post
I had my surgery on 12/17/12 - ACDF C3-4, 4-5, removal of several bone spurs, and removal of the hardware from my ACDF 5-6,7 from 2005. Surgery went well, very little pain post op on Monday. Was encouraged to walk around the hall as much as I desired. Later that night, though, I started leaking what turned out to be CSF from my incision. The next morning the neurosurgeon put in some more sutures and staples and put me flat on my back for 24 hours to seal the leak. He told me that several of the bone spurs didn't just puncture the dura, they were growing into it. So, he had to disect them out and put an artificial sheath around the dura to repair the damage. It will absorb into the natural dura over time. I came home Wednesday morning and am doing pretty well.
Dear xcobra, Hi. Wow, you poor thing! Im glad that you were finally diagnosed correctly & that the NS found the leak & fixed all the problems with your neck. I had CSF leaks after LL ◊2 & my original injury, repaired with fat and fascial grafts. Hope you are recovering as quickly as possible & are doing well. Would you mind explaining about the artificial graft or sheath that was put on your dura? Im quite interested, hope this isnt an inconveniece so soon post op. Thank you, gmak

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #33
(male)

xcobra HB User

gmak - I wish I could give you more info, but that's what the doc told me. During my C5,6,7 fusion in 2005, I also had a leak caused by a spur, but the doc was able to use "medical super glue" to close the hole. Back in my room, I had to lay flat for 12 hours or so. That's what was surprising this time. Everything I've been told about this current surgery would suggest to me that I would have the same "flat of my back" routine to follow; instead I was encouraged to walk the halls as much as I desired. I went back for my post-op visit on 27 Dec and the doc left all the sutures and staples in. He also withdrew 52cc of fluid from around the incision (which puffed up again over night as he said it might). I see him again on the 10th. I hope he doesn't put me in for a blood patch or whatever; I have no idea what the options open are - maybe just more rest.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #34
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
gmak - I wish I could give you more info, but that's what the doc told me. During my C5,6,7 fusion in 2005, I also had a leak caused by a spur, but the doc was able to use "medical super glue" to close the hole. Back in my room, I had to lay flat for 12 hours or so. That's what was surprising this time. Everything I've been told about this current surgery would suggest to me that I would have the same "flat of my back" routine to follow; instead I was encouraged to walk the halls as much as I desired. I went back for my post-op visit on 27 Dec and the doc left all the sutures and staples in. He also withdrew 52cc of fluid from around the incision (which puffed up again over night as he said it might). I see him again on the 10th. I hope he doesn't put me in for a blood patch or whatever; I have no idea what the options open are - maybe just more rest.
hi cobra' Wow, Im so sorry to hear that that leak may still exist. I had to do the "lay down " thing for 3 months 3 times! i hope that it goes away by itself, absorbs etc. is it still puffy? Hope all goes well at dr. Please let us know how you are. thanks

Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #35
(male)

xcobra HB User

gmak - yes, still puffy and starting to leak again, though not too badly. I can feel it on the dressing, though.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #36
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
gmak - yes, still puffy and starting to leak again, though not too adly. I can feel it on the dressing, though.
Hi xcobra, Im really sorry! I would call the dr this am for dr recommendation. I had to go to hospital right away when my dressing got wet, my dr said it was a meningitis risk! Please let us know your progress, praying for you.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #37
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
gmak - yes, still puffy and starting to leak again, though not too badly. I can feel it on the dressing, though.
Hi xcobra, Just wanted you to know Im praying for the csf leak to stop and for your recovery. When do you see the dr again?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #38
(male)

xcobra HB User

gmak - I saw the doc on Thursday. He withdrew another 50cc from around my incision and removed my staples. I told him I had been seeping around the incision and he didn't like that and asked if I had been exerting myself any. I told him I had had some severe coughing fits and the seeping started right after. I go back to see him Tuesday. If I am leaking bad enough he will put me in the hospital and insert a drain. The dressing he put on does not feel wet, so hopefully there won't be any more drainage. The right side of my neck has started to hurt rather sharply in the last couple of days, too.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #39
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
gmak - I saw the doc on Thursday. He withdrew another 50cc from around my incision and removed my staples. I told him I had been seeping around the incision and he didn't like that and asked if I had been exerting myself any. I told him I had had some severe coughing fits and the seeping started right after. I go back to see him Tuesday. If I am leaking bad enough he will put me in the hospital and insert a drain. The dressing he put on does not feel wet, so hopefully there won't be any more drainage. The right side of my neck has started to hurt rather sharply in the last couple of days, too.
Hi cobra, Im so glad that you posted an update, I have been worried & prayiing for you. My goodness, i know what you are going through & this reminds me of that horrible time. I am So Sorry that this is happening! I always had to have another surgery to patch the leak. One of my friends had a leak & it resolved on its own, but we prayed so much I think it was a miracle. I will continue to pray, I hope it has stopped on its own. I wore a pressure dressing & had to lay flat only up for the bathroom. I even had to bathe in bed. I got really good @ eating laying horizontal!Lol I had so much help & I hope that your family & friends are helping you. I will be looking for your update on tuesday. Thanks for the update, surely it will stop!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #40
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Hi cobra, Ive been wondering what the dr said last tuesday & i hope that the leak has resolved!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #41
(male)

xcobra HB User

gmak - Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on the board. I never made it to the dr appt on Tuesday. I kept leaking and then my temp spiked late Saturday,12 Jan. I called the oncall NS and was told to head to the ER. To make a long story short, the doc put a lumbar drain in and then I was admitted to the hospital, remaining flat (NMT 7 degrees elevation) except for eating and drinking, for the next several days. The drain was supposed to relieve the pressure in my neck to allow the incision to heal. I guess it worked, but I have an infection they are still treating after the insertion of a PICC line in my arm. Anyway, they pulled the drain on Friday, 18 Jan, and was released to go home Saturday. Twice daily infusions of antibiotics continue until 11 Feb or so. The first couple of days were rough with chills Monday. This is the first time I have felt well enough to get on the net. Hopefully, I will continue to heal and feel better quickly.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #42
Facilitator
(female)

Hi cobra, I have been so concerned about you & praying for you! Im so sorry that all this has happened! I certainly remember the "flat" thing, except I had to eat & drink lying down as well. Has the leak finally stopped completely? I never had an infection b/c i was treated for meningitis anyway but i never had to have them @ home. Im glad that the infection was caught though. I hope that you get better soon cobra & thank you for updating me. I will keep praying for you! We want that leak stopped for sure dont we?

Last edited by gmak; 01-25-2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: wordimg

Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #43
(male)

xcobra HB User

gmak - No leaks so far; incision seems to be healing fine, all closed. Just trying to kick this infection so I start feeling good again. My apetite is slowly getting better so that's a plus. Thanks so much for your concern and your prayers! How are you doing?

Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #44
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
gmak - No leaks so far; incision seems to be healing fine, all closed. Just trying to kick this infection so I start feeling good again. My apetite is slowly getting better so that's a plus. Thanks so much for your concern and your prayers! How are you doing?
Hi xcobra, Hooray, the leak is gone! After all you have been through i hate to say that im glad that they caught the infection in time but i read about someone that had pus pouring out from incision & had to have 3 more surgeries to clean infection out so you see why im glad the antibiotics are working right, it could be worse! Im having the weirdest "nerve" symptoms & either the pain, nerve symptoms or the pain medicine is affecting my heart with hi bp, fast pulse & really hard pounding in my chest, numb face,teeth, tongue, mouth, feet, hands, chest, & nerve pain in those areas as well. My spinal nerves are compressed from scar tissue from L3 to tailbone , CSF pushed out of spinal canal possibly increasing it in brain & that pressure could raise bp & idk what the heart thing is but i have " buzzing" all over in those areas & it is driving me crazy!Seeing cardio next week, arach causing the nerve compression & its so complicated idk if a dr can or will even figure it out but it is scary & makes me feel entirely miserable! Get better soon friend!

Last edited by gmak; 01-26-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #45
(male)

xcobra HB User

gmak - It looks promising. I see the Infection doc tomorrow and the surgeon on Thursday. Don't have a whole lot of energy, but all in all, I must say I'm slowly getting better. In the midst of all this health stuff, my company losy its government task for the customer I support; the new contractor can choose to hire the incumbent team we have, but while all others on team have met with them, I have not been able to. So, a little bit of stress from that area too.
Sounds like you need all your docs to meet and determine the best course of action to take and then attack your problems as a whole rather than as individuals with no knowledge of what each is doing. I don't know how to even initiate that kind of approach, though, as that would require your docs to put aside their other patients for the time it would take to discuss your treatment options. Possibly, a university medical center or something like that where all the disciplines are represented? I don't know. But my thoughts and prayers are with you!

The Following User Says Thank You to xcobra For This Useful Post:
gmak (01-27-2013)
Reply Reply