It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
(male)

ed48 HB User
ACDF c6/c7 surgery completed update

I had ACDF c6/c7 Monday the 24th. This is only my experience and nothing more and it is not meant to be medical advice. Immediately following surgery, all radicular pain was gone. There was some minor pain in throat like a sore throat type feeling but it was virtually gone by second day. No pain meds needed 2 days after surgery for me. The surgery went fantastic and now I feel I can live life again. I do not claim this will happen for everyone so please understand this is just my case and nothing more. I will update long term later, but this is how it is so far. I could not be happier 4 days out!!

The following user gives a hug of support to ed48:
Zogs (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
(female)

Zogs HB User
Re: ACDF c6/c7 surgery completed update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed48 View Post
I had ACDF c6/c7 Monday the 24th. This is only my experience and nothing more and it is not meant to be medical advice. Immediately following surgery, all radicular pain was gone. There was some minor pain in throat like a sore throat type feeling but it was virtually gone by second day. No pain meds needed 2 days after surgery for me. The surgery went fantastic and now I feel I can live life again. I do not claim this will happen for everyone so please understand this is just my case and nothing more. I will update long term later, but this is how it is so far. I could not be happier 4 days out!!

Good for you. : ) My radicular pain was immediately gone, too, and my strength seemed doubled after the surgery. I also have not a SINGLE headache since surgery, and I was someone who averaged 18 headaches/month. Today is a horrible, rainy day and I have NO migraine. Go us!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Zogs:
ed48 (09-28-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Zogs For This Useful Post:
ed48 (09-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
(female)

sbcatt HB User

Congratulations! I'm facing the same surgery and am delighted that it went so well for you. I am hopeful for a similar outcome. Pain meds are my nemesis and the faster I get rid of them the happier my outlook seems to be. Wishing you well on your recovery, thank you for sharing your outcome!

Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
(male)

ed48 HB User

That's great! I see now I am not the only one!! All the best!

The following user gives a hug of support to ed48:
sbcatt (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
(male)

ed48 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcatt View Post
Congratulations! I'm facing the same surgery and am delighted that it went so well for you. I am hopeful for a similar outcome. Pain meds are my nemesis and the faster I get rid of them the happier my outlook seems to be. Wishing you well on your recovery, thank you for sharing your outcome!
I hate pain meds and they make me itch like crazy. When I was a bit younger, they made me feel great but now I would say they are a torture to my system. Everyone has different levels of pain tolerance, so if your doctor says you need them, do take them of course-always follow doctor's orders. The valium they offered was worse than the pm and the muscle relaxant made me feel like a zombie. Luckily I only had to take them a couple times at the hospital. I did not want to have to withdraw from pain meds as that is almost as bad for me as the pain so I stopped after getting it ok'd with the doc. The pain was not bad and I am doing great. Good luck for you and if it goes like mine, you should be feeling super in not time! I am not giving medical advice, just sharing what I went through. God Bless!!!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
(female)

sbcatt HB User

While pain management made it possible for me to keep my job I will say that opiates are my personal last resort. The side effects are daunting.

The stoppage of your digestive system (if this affects you) will be an all consuming part of your life. I never had a withdrawal effect from opiates, they never even registered in my system, a fact that caused great problems because they didn't show up in my urine. A story for another day but I just want to say that our medical lives seem to be similar and you have a painpal on the west coast.

A day without meds is a day with sunshine.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: sbcatt
ed48 (09-28-2012), Zogs (09-29-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to sbcatt For This Useful Post:
ed48 (09-28-2012)
Closed Thread