It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
(female)

tanmansmom HB User
Smile Need help understanding MRI report please

Hello,

I am a new member, and would like some help with understanding my MRI results.

Basically it says:

Impressions: Early discogenic & degenerative changes present at multiple levels in cervical spine. Most significantly affected level is C4-5, with mild narrowing of the left neural foramen & central canal.

Small 8mm syrinx in the spinal cord at c7-T1 level. Non specific finding & no associated abnormality demonstrated.

Hetergenously cystic 2 cm right thyroid lobe nodule.

C3-4: left sided uncovertebral joint hypertrophy resulting in mild narrowing left nueral foramen,

C4-5: Dorsal osteophytic end plate ridging combined w minimal annular bulging & uncovertrebal joint hypertrophy to result in mild narrowing of left neural foramen & mild central canal narrowing.

C5-6: Minimal bulging of posterior annular fibers w/out evidence of disc herniation, central narrowing, etc.

C6-7: Minimal bulging combined w/ uncovertebral joint spurring results in mild
narrowing of left nueral foramen.

I have have also had another MRI w/contrast done, but results not back yet.

Currently on no pain meds, but in lots of pain, taking muscle relaxers in evening. Some days better than others, but usually by end of workday cannot wait to get home & take my relaxers and hit the heating pad. have been referred to pain management, but they want me to go to nuerosurgeon first (scheduled for about two weeks away.) Just wanted to get other members opinions about what I am looking at. Thank you in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Need help understanding MRI report please

Looks like a pretty benign MRI. Radiologists usually use minimal/mild/moderate/severe to describe spinal problems. "Severe" means "severe". "Moderate" means "this might be a problem". "Mild" means something like, "I can clearly see it but I don't think it's a problem".

So the radiologist's impression is that there's nothing to worry about - yet. If you need explanation of any specific terms, just say so.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
tanmansmom (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

tanmansmom HB User

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess the part of the report that is most concerning to me is the syrinx, and the canal narrowing. It seems from what I have read, that both of those things can have negative impacts on how you feel and function. I have headaches daily, have had migraines for all of my adult life, and dont know how I can tell if its a cervogenic headache or migraine triggered by the usual things that trigger them. (For me its weather, hormonal changes, or a stress headache, usually starting out with neck tension,which now is constant.) Ibuprofen, meloxicam, or tylenol do not touch the headache.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

The syrinx is definitely something to keep an eye on. I guess you're in the unfortunate position of wondering whether something at the bottom of your neck might be causing headaches, and having no way to prove that it isn't.

I'll bet that the second MRI and the neurosurgeon will clear things up at least somewhat...

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
tanmansmom (09-30-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
(female)

tanmansmom HB User

The results from my MRI w/contrast have been rec'd by my pcp, she has sent them to the the neurosurgeon, still waiting for them to call me with my app't. The only thing I know is that it confirmed the presence of the syrinx at C7-T1, 8 mm. I am anxious about how it will be treated..

Last edited by tanmansmom; 10-03-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
(female)

tanmansmom HB User

Well, the visit to the neurosurgeon went well, I suppose. He said he thought the syrinx may be congenital, started to explain about a Chiari, got sidetracked, and went into a different direction. End result being that they are referring me to pain management dr, and no mention of any follow up on the syrinx. Also scheduled me for an EMG due to some numbness in my hands, and dull intermittent pain in my arms and legs. They did given me tramadol for the headaches and put me back on meloxicam for the inflammation, both which seem to help. As far as the cervical vertebrae, he did diagnose me with DDD - arthritis. So as long as the pain stays manageable, and the syrinx doesnt grow, I guess I am good. Certainly things could be a lot worse!

Closed Thread