It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
(male)

PMADrew09 HB User
help with CT and MRI readings

Hey I'm Drew and I'm 26 Years old with Right sided cerebral palsy and simple partial seizures. These are my CTs and MRI readings and i was wondering if anyone could help me make any sense of them. This is much appreciated!

CT
Grade 1 anterior Listhesis of L5 on S1 secondary to underlying Spondylolysis. this results in distortion and narrowing of the neural formina. The L5-S1 disk space is moderately narrowed

CT Myelogram
L5-S1 there are ventral and right lateral extradural defect with partial effacement of the proximal right S1 nerve root
L3-4 there is minimal ventral extradural defect
L3-2 there is minimal ventral extradural defect

MRI
Lumbar:
L5-S1
Grade 1 spondylolthesis of L5 in relation to S1, with bilateral spondylolysis at L5. There is mild spondylosis and loss of normal signal intensity in the disk. There is mild dorsal bulging of the annulus. There is a small posterolateral inferior foraminal disk extrustion on the left extending slightly above the level of the disk. This results in foraminal stenosis on the left and quite likely compromise of the left L5 nerve root in the neural foramen. Minimal foraminal narrowing of the right.

Thor Spine:

T6-7 mild central right paracentral spondylosis
T7-8 mild left sided spondylosis with minimal indentation on the cord
T8-9 mild right sided spondylosis
T9-10 mild facet disease and mild disc bulge. the lower levels show mild facet disease

Cerv Spine:

C4-5 mild disc bulge with minimal facet disease
C5-6 mild disc bulge with minimal facet disease
C6-7 mild facet disease
C7-T1 mild facet disease

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: help with CT and MRI readings

Your cervical looks benign, pretty much.

In your lumbar, the compromised left L5 nerve quite possibly causes symptoms in the left hip and leg. Maybe some pain at the site of the compromise, as well.

The T7-8 indentation of the cord w/b of some concern to me, not so much because it's a serious problem NOW, but because it may get worse over time, and that level is difficult to fix.

Maybe, for the T7-8, a program of exercises and therapy would be recommended?

I'm curious to know what your docs say....

Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
(male)

PMADrew09 HB User

WebDozer

thanks for the reply. i have my first meeting with a pain management physician on october 11th. ive been in severe pain for about a year now barely able to get out of bed. it hurts to stand and walk for long periods of time. and its uncomfortable to sit. im always woke up at night because i cant find a comfortable position to sleep. my PCP has me on a low dose of hydrocodone every 12 hours but it isnt doing anything for the pain. im hoping that when i go to PM that ill be able to get on a low dose of of an antidepressant for sleep and maybe cymbalta or lyrica for nerve pain... im also going to ask about something other than hydrocodone because i need something a little more long acting.. it wouldnt be so bad if i didnt have CP on the right side so i have to compensate with my left side every day which leaves me in a lot more pain then most people... what does the indentation of the cord possibly mean for the future?

oh and i want to try biofeedback and water therapy.. maybe the alexander technique to relearn posture...

thanks again!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
(male)

PMADrew09 HB User

WebDozer

thanks for the reply. i have my first meeting with a pain management physician on october 11th. ive been in severe pain for about a year now barely able to get out of bed. it hurts to stand and walk for long periods of time. and its uncomfortable to sit. im always woke up at night because i cant find a comfortable position to sleep. my PCP has me on a low dose of hydrocodone every 12 hours but it isnt doing anything for the pain. im hoping that when i go to PM that ill be able to get on a low dose of of an antidepressant for sleep and maybe cymbalta or lyrica for nerve pain... im also going to ask about something other than hydrocodone because i need something a little more long acting.. it wouldnt be so bad if i didnt have CP on the right side so i have to compensate with my left side every day which leaves me in a lot more pain then most people... what does the indentation of the cord possibly mean for the future?

oh and i want to try biofeedback and water therapy.. maybe the alexander technique to relearn posture...

thanks again!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I really can't say much, if anything, about that indentation at T7-8. Because of my own problems, I have made a study of cervical vertebrae but know little about thoracics. I couldn't even tell you if an indentation such as yours would be considered particularly abnormal. I guess that it may not be for someone my age, but for a 26-year-old it probably is.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

You mention a PM Dr. and a PCP Dr....Have you not been to see an actual Board Certified Neurosurgeon or BC Orthopedic surgeon to go over these MRI results?

A PCP does not have the background and training on the spine...And even a PM has usually not moved from that speciality to PM. They are usually Anesthesiologists.

The PM is certainly the one to handle your chronic pain issues....but that is usually after seeing a Neuro or Ortho and them making sure you are not surgical as well as they have access to great Physical Therapists to help as well.

No one here is a Dr. and cannot fully interpret your MRI results...I would make sure that the most highly educated Dr. in that area took a look and gave their opinion.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
(male)

PMADrew09 HB User

I Just got on a community health plan because i cannot afford insurance right now. they sent me to a family physician after i got approved who took me after i ended up in the ER. she then looked at my records and wrote me a script for low dose pain killer then gave me a referral to pain management. when i see the PM doc on october 11th she will once again review my films then give me a referral to a surgeon. i just have to jump through the red tape to get to the final destination. their main concerns all have been that my body has a lot of wear and tear for my age and with me having cerebral palsy of the right side im over doing it with the left and causing more degenerative changes.

Closed Thread