It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
(male)

colormegone574 HB User
Nerve Damage or is this healing

On March 6th 2012 I had surgery on my neck "cervical spine" The surgery was to remove a benign tumor. This tumor had been in place next to my spinal cord for many, many years and wasn't detected until it started to put pressure on my spinal cord. C-2 C-3 C-4 C-5 bones in the back of my neck were also taken out and then fusion was made to hold everything in place. prior to this surgery I have had surgery on both shoulders 199 and again 2001 rotator and bone spurs.after thos two surgeries i developed arthritis in my shoulders and although painfull i was able to deal with it. after this last surgery on my neck the shoulders weree fine ..so I thought. every thing was ok and I was healing and dealing with this new pain. and I cant get any relief. .. It started with the left side being numb and tingly. Now 6 months post surgery and check up 2 week, one month, 3 month 6 month post. All to include CT scan and same day visit with Doctor.
I still have some tingly and numbness in my left hand and down my left leg. Now I have issues involving the nerves in and around my neck. The pain is a sharp, shooting pain that starts on either side of the neck and then will shoot down the back of my arm. Mostly it's the left arm and gets to where it takes my breath away and throbs into my muscles all over my upper body. Every few minutes a thunder bolt of pain shoots from under my collar bone on either side right into my lung area. My hands at the wrists will swell up to where I can't even tie my shoes or button a shirt. The stiffness that comes with this pain makes it hard to move around. I have lost motion that I used to have in my head and that makes it hard to keep balance. I am feeling all sorts of sensation that feel as if a spinder or something of that nature is crawling on just the back of my neck. I have fallen many times and my left leg just goes out and down I go, with no warning... Over the course of the last 6 months post surgery I have not been able to breathe for just a split second on several occasions. This happens and it's like being under water. But like I said it only last a fraction of second and my brain restarts it just as quick. My pain is not just confined to the neck but also gets to other areas. my shoulders, back, arms and hands. The numbness and loss of feeling that I hav now first started the minute I woke from this surgery and has not got any better or worse that I can tell, Numbness like a viisit to the dentist starting with the right side from behind my ear up and around my cheek to my lower jaw. This has not changed since March 2012. The tingling sensations are still in my left leg and left arm to include fingers. There has been several times where I have lost control of my bladder and could not feel the urge, or stop it once it began... This is something that I have been going through every day and over the last 6 months these issues are becoming more frequent and more intense each time. I asked my doctor if there was nerve damage and he was real firm in his command and said no "I took the nerve out with the tumor" and has stood firm an evry one of these issues that is going to take time to heal. The longer I go every day the worse things get
I feel very strong that there is sever nerve damage and he refuses to listen.[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Nerve Damage or is this healing

I wonder what kind of tumor was removed and if there could be another one in the brain or a recurrence of the one removed. Something is not right, as you should be getting better, not worse, with time. Loss of bladder control and falling down are serious issues. I would see another neurosurgeon. And ask to have an MRI of brain and spinal cord. Some benign tumors, like vascular hemangiomas, can occur in multiples. I think your brain and neck need studied again to find what is going on.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

I agree with ladybud regarding falls and bladder control.. have they scanned your lower lumbar area?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
(male)

colormegone574 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy2day View Post
I agree with ladybud regarding falls and bladder control.. have they scanned your lower lumbar area?
Well Guess what I found out this past week. As I explained in my original note. theissues I have kept getting worse and worse. The last big issue was a thunderous bolt of pain This is compared to Lightning and Thunder when the storms is brewing you dont know where it will strike but you can be sure that lightning will strike and thats just what this was. right from the middle of my neck area or close to the shoulder blades every so often 20 -30 minutes sometimes 2-5 seconds without warning "BAM" this pain would shoot deep into my lung area or down and out the backside of both arms,. After almost a year with numbness in my left arm all the way down to the hand and just above left knee to middle of calf area. Numbness like I just left the dentist's office to have a molar drilled and filled. without any changes from surgery on 3-6-12..
Now its a year later and Doctor fills me in that the CT Scan And MRI done February 1 2013 have shown that two screws that were located near the bottom c-5 had loosened and that one was completely out of its position. Well I told him something was wrong from the fist visit after surgery.. Now I feel that after all his telling me that this nerve root tumor was a very critical surgery and that time would be needed to get back to 100%. well I did seek another Doctor and was told that despite a successful surgery. the root tumor was large and was in contact with my spinal cord When I lost feling on my entire left side then he damage was done and cant be undone. So Now I have to have another surgery to remove the screws that are out of place. Same doctor said there is nothing to worry about and when asked if those screws could float around and get lodged near or forced into my spinal cord.. Was told no thats not possible. Well I am not buying his cover my *** logic and think I will just have them taken out for my own safety and piece of mind.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

fmgal HB User

If your fusion is complete, I don't understand why you can't just have all of the hardware removed so you don't have to worry about it anymore! I don't know about the neck, but I had a double fusion at L4L5 and L5S1 and after 9 months, due to increased pain and thinness (no back fat to protect hardware and you could feel it through my skin), the doctor said that since my fusion had completed, I didn't need the hardware any longer. So I don't understand why your hardware needs to stay. If it's been a year your fusion should be complete and I would ask the doctor if your MRI shows that you are fused, and if you are I would then ask why the hardware needs to be there. People I have read about in these threads are always having trouble with the screws from their hardware that has been in for a number of years and it baffles me. Good luck to you.
Denise

Last edited by fmgal; 02-13-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
(female)

AmandaIsaacs82 HB User

I myself am getting very frustrated what to do?? On feb 1 this year i had surgery on my spinal cord in my neck it was a tumor I woke up and have been numb and tingly on my left side loss of balance and its painful noody understands The doctors say hmm maybe your addicted to the pain pills no its not that at all The surgeon says the surgery was successful Im very irratated and emotional its hard for me to explain to people I am 30 years old I have 5 beautiful children and they see me in pain constantly I cant take them to the park or play ball nothing is this how my life is going to end up This is insane i never had any of these problems before someone please help me in understanding!!!!! So sad and frustrated

Reply Reply