It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
(female)

neckinfo HB User
Cervical Disc Replacement - Prodisc -C

My doctor recommended cervical disc replacement prodisc -c for my c5/c6. I am 50 years old and active. Has anyone had this surgery? How are you doing now? Any problems? Motion? Are you back to an active lifestyle? When did you have the surgery? I am also looking for a second opinion, any suggestions?. I live in Maryland. I have read about the differences between this type of surgery and fusion and I understand that this relatively new surgery in the United States. Thank you in advance for any advice and response.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Cervical Disc Replacement - Prodisc -C

All I know is: In order to get best results out of a surgery you need to go to a surgeon who has done this specific surgery at least 10,000 times.

Howcome a young woman your age (50 years of age) needs to do neck surgery?
What happened to you, have you been in a car accident?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
(female)

neckinfo HB User

Yes, I was in a car accident - 6 months ago. I did 6 weeks physical therapy, had a MRI, 3 cortisone shots... This type of surgery cervical artifical disc replacement has only been approved by the FDA in the United States since 2006, so I don't think I will find someone that has performed this specific type of surgery 10,000 times in the US. In Europe, it has been around for like 20 years. What I'm trying to find out from anyone that has had this specific type of surgery... Most of the things I've been finding out from the internet show the people right after the surgery and how well they are doing -- especially compared to fusion surgery. But, what I'm trying to find out is from people who have had the surgery awhile ago and how they are doing now -- longer term? Also, trying to find any good doctors that perform this specific type of surgery to go to for a second opinion in the Maryland area. My ortho surgeon feels I'm a good candidate for this type of surgery rather than fusion.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Are you suffering from neck pain?
If you have been in a car accident and had a whiplash a surgery WILL NOT take your pain away. Neck pain stays for the rest of your life.

I think you have been told all your tendons,ligaments and muscles are damaged for life.

What good cars brought to us? NOTHING. Better with carriages-----much safer, never a whiplash. Whiplash started with the invention of trains- and then cars.

Are you even able to sleep with the neck you have now?

Last edited by nochange; 10-13-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
(female)

SALioness HB User
Talking Re: Cervical Disc Replacement - Prodisc -C

Here is my story and I am 49 years old.

Briefly, I had my disc replacement surgery at 2 levels done, c5/c6 and c6/c7 15 days ago today. (1 November 2012) and so far the results are wonderful and better than expected so far, especially only after my 2 week.

I do still take pain killers for the op, but I got the movement and strength back in my arms immediately, felt my thumb and fingers which were numb, straight when I woke up from the anesthetic.

Only thing, was that my right should was in incredible spasm and I had pain in my left arm, which I did not have before the op. But this is now settling nicely.

I can move my head completely to the left and to the right, tonight I am in front of my computer, I do still wear my collar, but I have started leaving it off for longer periods at a time. I have tried driving my car a short distance (last weekend).

I was fine with that. I now feel so well, even with the pain that I have, that I have to watch myself that I do not overdo things. In fact, that is the reason why I do not want to take pain killers, is because I am scared I will feel TOO good.

Anyway, the worst so far, has been the swallowing. I battle to swallow the pills, every now and again, they get stuck in my throat. But last night, I choked on one, that did not want to come up, eventually my friendly, who was luckily there, turned me over, slapped me on my back a few times, cos I was gasping for breath too.

Eventually, pill came out Ė but during this time, neither of us even thought about the surgery I had only 2 weeks ago, I just didnít want to die choking. (needless to say, I now cut the capsules open and mix the powder with liquid and drink them that way.)

Anyway, I was worried that maybe, with the bashing on my back, which was not so gentle, I might have undone or jolted my disc replacements, or that the discs would have moved, but I went to physio today and I am fine. He assured me that if I undid anything, I would have felt it straight away.

But like I say, I feel good tonight. Saw your question on the forum and thought I would share my story so far, especially that it is only day 15 after my op. The only thing the doc said to me are that my bones are very soft and he wants to monitor that.

I go for a 6 week checkup and followup xray and a bone density on the 11 Dec 2012. Will let you know how that goes.

Also going to be monitoring my Lumber vertebra because I also have a spinal stenosis in my L3/4 and L4/S region Ė donít want a fusion there either, so we are going to monitor that over the next few years, so that do not go past the stage where a fusion is needed. I want to have my discs replaced there too.

The Following User Says Thank You to SALioness For This Useful Post:
neckinfo (12-06-2012)
Closed Thread