It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

TheMamaLisa HB User
ACDF vs Posterior Microdiscecomy

Hello! Its been a while since I have posted but would like personal advice with recovery after surgery. In 2008 I had ACDF on level C-4/C-5. I remember it took a year to completely heal I still have residual pain from it but thats another topic. At the end of June of this year I started having severe pain in my neck with spasms down my arm I currently can't feel my pointer or middle fingers on my left hand. MRI shows severe herniation at level C-6/C-7. Have gone through PT with traction and massage nothing helps. Have consulted with the neurosurgeon and got a second opinion who also said if he was in my position he'd do surgery. This neurosurgeon (he did my low back my neck was fused by someone else) says he wants to do a Posterior laminectomy/microdisectomy but no fusion. When I asked about ACDF he said some might do that procedure but he felt it wasn't necessary because I am young (32). I have read that even though recovery time is shorter the pain is much more significant after the laminectomy. I was in MAJOR pain after my ACDF so to think it could be worse frightens me. I have surgery scheduled for next month. Wondering if anyone has insight here? What is recovery like for this particular surgery? Has anyone had both and can compare results/recovery? Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
(male)

rv80 HB User
Re: ACDF vs Posterior Microdiscecomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMamaLisa View Post
Hello! Its been a while since I have posted but would like personal advice with recovery after surgery. In 2008 I had ACDF on level C-4/C-5. I remember it took a year to completely heal I still have residual pain from it but thats another topic. At the end of June of this year I started having severe pain in my neck with spasms down my arm I currently can't feel my pointer or middle fingers on my left hand. MRI shows severe herniation at level C-6/C-7. Have gone through PT with traction and massage nothing helps. Have consulted with the neurosurgeon and got a second opinion who also said if he was in my position he'd do surgery. This neurosurgeon (he did my low back my neck was fused by someone else) says he wants to do a Posterior laminectomy/microdisectomy but no fusion. When I asked about ACDF he said some might do that procedure but he felt it wasn't necessary because I am young (32). I have read that even though recovery time is shorter the pain is much more significant after the laminectomy. I was in MAJOR pain after my ACDF so to think it could be worse frightens me. I have surgery scheduled for next month. Wondering if anyone has insight here? What is recovery like for this particular surgery? Has anyone had both and can compare results/recovery? Thanks in advance!!!
Hey,

I've had a laminectomy without fusion / hardware last year in August and was 30 at the time. It was done on C5,C6 and partial C7. I had surgery on a Friday and was home 3 days later on Monday. I was up and walking to the grocery store when 2 days at home on Wednesday. I didn't need a collar and the only thing I took for the pain was 5 days of 1 Ibuprofen pill which I bought in the local pharmacy.

So I personally wouldn't be really scared of the amount of pain. It did of course hurt the first 2 nights in hospital but I found sitting straight up pretty okay to deal with the pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to rv80 For This Useful Post:
TheMamaLisa (10-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread