It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

4thof4 HB User
Please help me decide if I should a second surgery!

I had a two level fusion (one with artificial disk) at 5-6 and 6-7 in Dec 2011. Had xrays done about 6 mo post op......neurosurgeon saw that one of the wires from the screw was broken. Said it shouldn't be a problem. Since then I started to have some swallowing issues come up.....had a cold and the post nasal drip was hell on my swallowing because I felt like I couldn't get the post nasal drip to go down...kept swallowing over and over. Kept me up at night doing so. Anyway, since Aug. I have noticed that small pieces of food get caught in my throat.......pieces of pasta...potato chips etc....when I swallow. Swallowing pills is difficult as well. Repeated the x rays and surgeon said I was not fused all the way at the artificial disk site and that I have pseudo arthrosis.

The newest symptom I have is the return of the right arm weakness and fatigue when used too much. Such as reading a book to my class at school. Holding my arm up that long makes it tired. I also have occasional radiating pain in my shoulders...sometimes down my upper middle back is also fairly new.

I saw the NS today and he redid xrays. Nothing has changed since the last xray. He told me I could do nothing, or, redo the surgery and do a traditional ACDF and put a plate on it. And he would redo it anteriorly, he said, instead of posterior. Said it was up to me and the pain level I'm willing to tolerate.

I don't know if I should have it redone or wait and see....based on my symptoms....what would you suggest? Should I request a posterior approach to make sure the job is done for good in spite of the longer recovery? Or stay with the anterior approach? Or should I not do this at all??? Please help!

Thanks!

Lindsey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Please help me decide if I should a second surgery!

Do the docs think the swallowing trouble is due to the failed surgery? I don't really see the connection between a cervical problem that low and swallowing, but I guess it's possible.

Anyway, if the kind of swallowing problem that could result in choking, then that's something to get fixed, if possible...

Closed Thread