It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
(female)

chipanddiane HB User
Help understanding MRI - Cervical Spine report -- Thanks!

Ok I have all kinds of weird stuff happening to me pain in different parts of my body ... etc. Would any of this on this report effect me pain wise???

No one ever went over these results with me.

This test was done in June and my physician received the report never went over it with me and my pain in my neck is now worse. Are these results something I should be pressing to follow up for or are they just normal??

Thanks so much!!

MRI - CERV SPINE W/O

Multiplanar multi-sequential MRI of the cervical spine performed without the use of inrvenous conrast.

No prior MRI available fore comparison

HISTORY: Neck Pain and headache occasional left arm numbness

FINDINGS: Multilevel disk desiccation is noted. Multilevel mild end plate spurring seen from T2-T3 to C6-C&. No compression fracture is seen. No listhesis.

Bilateral facet arthroathy at C2-C3 is without significant spinal cancal or neuroforaminal narrowing.

Disk ostephyte complex and moderate right and mild left sided facet arthropathy at C3-C4 are with mild spinal canal narrowing without cord compression. No significant neuroforamnal narrowing seen at this level.

Mild bilateral facet arthropathy at C4-C5 is without significant spinal canal or neuro foraminal narrowing.

Disk osteophyte complex with what apprears to be a small central protrusion at C5-C6. In addition to mild left sided facet arthropathy resulted in mild spinal canal narrowing. THe protusion does abut the ventral aspect of the cord where it is slightly flattened, however there is no over cord compression. There is mild right sided neuroforaminal narrowing at this level.

Disk osteophyte complex with a right paracentral protrusion at C6-C7 results in mild spinal canal narrowing more so on the right. The protrusion is slightly abuts the vetral aspect of the right cord without overly compressing it. There is mild to moderate amount of right sided neuroforaminal narrowing at this level.

C7-T1 level appears normal.

No abnormal signal in the cord.

IMPRESSION: Level by level analysis as described.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Help understanding MRI - Cervical Spine report -- Thanks!

The first thing is to take note of the adjectives, as radiologists use a fairly standard set: minimal, mild, moderate and severe. The definitions that I would put on them are:

minimal - there, but barely noticeable

mild - clearly noticeable, but unlikely to be problematic

moderate - borderline problematic, refer to symptoms

severe - DO something about this!

At the C3-4 level, you have bone overgrowths (osteophytes/arthropathy) coming into the spinal canal from in front (disk osteophyte complex) and the side (facet arthropathy). This narrows the spinal CANAL a little, w/o affecting the spinal CORD. Note that the cord is cushioned within the canal by cerebrospinal fluid, so you have some leeway for the canal to be narrowed but the cord to remain unaffected. Apparently, none of the bone overgrowths are impinging on the foramina (the openings in the front/side of the spine through which pass the peripheral nerves after they leave the cord).

At C5-6, you have a slightly bulging (but apparently not herniated) disk that has reached the spinal cord and is slightly flattening the front (ventral) side. While the radiologist doesn't think it's a problem, my amateur's opinion is that ANYTHING that impinges on the cord MIGHT be a problem.

At C6-7, note that the foraminal narrowing may have reached the "moderate" level. If this were symptomatic, the giveaway would be symptoms in the right middle finger.

I don't see anything here that would cause left arm numbness, but it does sound like you have a nerve blockage. Could it be in the shoulder (affecting the whole arm) or in the elbow (affecting the forearm)? Is it movement or position related, or does it come out of the blue?

As for the neck pain, once again, I don't see it. Is it on one side only? High or low?

One warning about radiologists' reports: sometimes they are just awful. If this report is all your doctor saw, it's not surprising he didn't react. Could you have a surgeon - or, at least, an orthopedist - go over the images?

Last edited by WebDozer; 10-18-2012 at 07:09 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
chipanddiane (10-18-2012), Hartford (10-30-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
(female)

chipanddiane HB User
Re: Help understanding MRI - Cervical Spine report -- Thanks!

What a gift you being here to answer questions for those of us who have no idea where to turn. Thank you from the bottom (and top) of my heart.

Closed Thread