It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
(male)

braveneck HB User
right foot still numb

I'm going crazy here, my right foot has been pins and needles for the last two weeks. I see my MD on Monday. I have severe cervical problems, but my chiro says that a numb foot is usually LOWER back. As if I don't already have enough to worry about. What can they do for my numb foot? I'm not diabetic, for sure. I'm taking extra B vitamins and it isn't helping. They already want to do a three level fusion on my neck, and I've put it off for years. To be honest, I think the numb foot is my neck and not my back, but I'm not a doctor. What am I looking at here? The idea of being in a wheel chair crapping myself just about sends me off the side of the nearest building.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: right foot still numb

If you have cord compression, it could be causing the tingling in your foot. Numbness and/or tingling in the legs or feet is often a sign of lumbar issues. However, if a bulging or herniated disc in the cervical area is pressing into the spinal cord, it can have an affect on anything below the neck. If you are being told a 3 level fusion is in your future, it sounds like your cervical issues are fairly significant...so I think the cord compression is probably the most likely source of your tingling.

"Pins and needles" is different than having your foot be completely numb. It is a less severe symptom that numbness. But if the nerve is left in this compressed state, it is probably a matter of time before it becomes numb....the longer a nerve is compressed, the greater the chance of developing permanent nerve damage.

You may want to bring this new symptom to the attention of your surgeon.

Taking a vitamin is not going to make any difference. The nerve is not able to function normally due to the restriction that is compressing it. It is not able to get sufficient blood flow and oxygen...and it will remain that way until whatever is compressing it is removed, or moves.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
(male)

braveneck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
If you have cord compression, it could be causing the tingling in your foot. Numbness and/or tingling in the legs or feet is often a sign of lumbar issues. However, if a bulging or herniated disc in the cervical area is pressing into the spinal cord, it can have an affect on anything below the neck. If you are being told a 3 level fusion is in your future, it sounds like your cervical issues are fairly significant...so I think the cord compression is probably the most likely source of your tingling.

"Pins and needles" is different than having your foot be completely numb. It is a less severe symptom that numbness. But if the nerve is left in this compressed state, it is probably a matter of time before it becomes numb....the longer a nerve is compressed, the greater the chance of developing permanent nerve damage.

You may want to bring this new symptom to the attention of your surgeon.

Taking a vitamin is not going to make any difference. The nerve is not able to function normally due to the restriction that is compressing it. It is not able to get sufficient blood flow and oxygen...and it will remain that way until whatever is compressing it is removed, or moves.
Thank you for the reply. That's kind of what I thought.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I am adding something to my earlier post. I understand that numb toes can be a sign of a B12 deficiency. Have you been tested for that?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
(male)

braveneck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
I am adding something to my earlier post. I understand that numb toes can be a sign of a B12 deficiency. Have you been tested for that?
The first thing i did was get B12 subllingual and B complex.
So far, the foot is still tingling and problematic. Finally got in to
see my primary care, and they are sending me for some kind of nerve tests,
I guess a neurologist, to try to determine if the foot problem is
related to the cervical stenosis, and if it is, then they said I will have to do the fusion.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
(male)

575needles HB User

my cervical issues effected my feet and legs, as far as numbness, tingling and stability when walking or standing, best wishes

The Following User Says Thank You to 575needles For This Useful Post:
braveneck (10-26-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
(male)

CharlotteY HB User

A month ago, my cervical 6/7 level was fused. I had moderate cord compression at that level. Since surgery, the pins and needles (and other weird sensations) in my leg has mostly disappeared. I have only noticed it, very faintly, a couple of times at night whereas before it was constant.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
(male)

575needles HB User

That is great to hear your condition is improving, Best Wishes..

Closed Thread