It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
(male)

kman HB User
Cervicogenic Headache

Well, after a few months of constant headaches and several misdiagnosis my Doc and I think we may have figured out the cause of my headaches/neck pain. Cervicogenic headaches, i have some issues disc degen disease and a couple herniated discs in my lower back, i never dawned on us to check my cervical area as well. Turns out there is possible arthritis and a couple discs that look off, this was done with a xray which i know is a dull tool. I am going to the Cleveland clinic in a couple weeks to see a Spine Doc, but in the meantime we are going o start a trial of a anitepileptic drug called Gabapentin.

So my question to you all, once diagnosed correctly with Cervicogenic headaches, what worked? I have read a ton about botox shots, nerve blocks, surgery, meds etc etc.. Did anything finally fix the problems??

Oh, my symptoms.. Always starts as a dull back of the neck pain usually starting at the base of my skull. As the day progress it turns into a full blown headache from hell, that encompasses my entire skull. Some days are mellow, other days are so bad i just climb into bed and get under the covers. I have this crazy crackling noise that goes on in my neck when i turn my hear, sounds like rice cripys.

During the course of figuring out the problems, i have been on meds like nortryptaline, maxalt, butibital, any nsaids i could get my hands on. Currently taking flexiril (muscle relaxant) which helps me gets some sleep at night. Even xanax for a little while to relax me, but the flexiril works better.

I work in front of a computer at work. This is usually when things are the worse, i have found that if i get up and walk around, the neck pain and head pain ease up greatly. I am also a triathlete and have found that my days are WAY worse after swimming or running, i guess the constant head motion and pounding from running really make things worse.

Last edited by kman; 11-01-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Cervicogenic Headache

You are too young for neck pain. Have you been in a car accident?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
(male)

kman HB User
Re: Cervicogenic Headache

No car accident. But, as a hobby i have trained with some fighters. During one sessions, i got my neck torqued pretty good that put me out of commission for a while. But i let that heal naturally. That was a couple years ago and i went back to grappling earlier this year, broke a rib and havent gone back since. (yes, i know 40 is too damn old to be rolling around with 20 year old guys!) After i gave up the fighting i went back to triathlon training.. After a few weeks of swimming and running all this cropped up and hasnt gone away. It has improved once i stopped the training.

Closed Thread