It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

ameuzela HB User
Running 2 years post 3rd ACDF surgery? Good or bad idea?

Hello everyone,

I have had 3 ACDF surgeries on C3/4, C4/5, C5/6, and C6/7, and now have 4 donor bones, double titanium and a single titanium plate with screws and cages. Everything is fused, and I'm trying my hardest to live a normal life (which is pretty hard).

I would like to get in shape again and have slowly been running a few more miles each time I work out (which is approx. 2 to 3 days a week), but my hubby is worried that I am doing something stupid, and should not be running so now I'm kind of worried too.

I still fight to control pain every single day, and I probably always will. I have to be aware of my posture all day long in order to avoid an inflammation. I do yoga breathing, and roll my shoulders several times per day, which seems to help a great deal.

I have also noticed that if I do not work out my muscles get really stiff which causes me much more pain. So back to running... it's something that makes me feel good, and that i really enjoy, but then again I don't want to make things worse so really not sure what to do at this point?

Thanks,

Annette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Running 2 years post 3rd ACDF surgery? Good or bad idea?

Life is a series of choices. If you love to run and nothing else will replace it in your life, it is a choice you are making...but no one would ever tell you that running is beneficial to anyone who has had a spinal fusion.

Discs are the cushions that separate the bones (vertebrae) in our spines. They are comprised of about 90% "water." As we age, the discs normally lose moisture and tend to flatten out, even in people who do not have any disc disease. Running is very jarring to the spine. The force of gravity alone is hard on the spine...but when you have that impact on the discs step after step, it is certainly not beneficial.

Can you do it? Yes. Will you pay the price in later life? Who knows...but common sense tells us that the odds aren't in your favor.

No one can tell you definitively what the right answer is. But there are other exercises that are much better for you...or less destructive.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
bunz50 (11-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
(female)

bunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB User
Re: Running 2 years post 3rd ACDF surgery? Good or bad idea?

Hello, I agree that running is very hard on the spine and would not prove beneficial(my opinion only) I try and walk 3-4 days a week, walking is considered one of the best forms of exercise, and its good for everyone, you could walk at a quicker pace to get your heart rate up and still get good results.
Take care, Bunz

Closed Thread