It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

cicarpen HB User
degenerative changes in particular at C5-6

Hi everyone,

This is my first time to post, and I'm very happy to have found this site! I just received my results back from an X-ray of my neck, and I don't have a clue as to what it means (other than what I typed in my title). Here is what the report said:

Straightening of the cervical spine identified with no prevertebral

soft tissue swelling, fracture or dislocation. Mild to moderate disc

space narrowing with anterior posterior osteophytes anteriorly and

posteriorly at C5-C6 is noted with mild bilateral foraminal narrowing

at this level. Elsewhere unremarkable except for mild facet

hypertrophy.

My symptoms include intense pain in my right upper arm down to my elbow, and numbness in my hand and wrist, and in the tips of my fingers. My doc wants me to go to PT and take anti-inflammatories. I'm a female, 57 yo, and also have a herniated disk in my spine (and recently received shots to relieve the pain at L4/5).

Could anyone tell me what this all means in layman's terms? I would really appreciate it very much!

Best wishes to you all!

The following user gives a hug of support to cicarpen:
Hemlock07 (11-17-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: degenerative changes in particular at C5-6

It doesn't look bad, but an MRI would be more informative.

Tingling in the TIPS of your fingers? All of them? If so, that doesn't sound like a spinal problem, but I'm an amateur here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
(female)

cicarpen HB User

Thank you so much for your response and your comments! I'm so glad it doesn't look bad.

The tingling is mainly in my hand, arm and my last two fingers the most. I now have numbness from my hand up beyond my elbow (it's grown). So my doc now put me on a regimen of predisone for 6 days for the inflammation and pain. My PT starts tomorrow, so I hope that helps!

I see him in a week to let him know how I'm progressing, but so far, not much progress, and more numbness!

Again, I can't thank you enough for your thoughtful remarks! Let's see how my week goes!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

OK, last two fingers would indicate C8 nerve (from C7-T1 level), but your MRI does not mention this. Maybe you have nerve entrapment in your elbow? Does anything change when you b end your arm at the elbow?

I still think you need an MRI.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
(female)

cicarpen HB User

I agree - I think I need an MRI as well! So far he's only done an X-ray, and when he sees me next week we will discuss a possible MRI. Hopefully we will move forward with the MRI so we can actually see which nerves are impacted (it's probably exactly what you mention in your reply). So I'm hopeful we will get more info on this pain, numbness and tingling. In the meantime, I'm going to look up the C8 nerve to learn more about this! Again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH - you have been very kind and helpful!

Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
(female)

suenthome9 HB User

I have been experiencing the constant tingling in my left arm with the numbness in my arm, hand and fingers. I went for Xrays and then recently for a MRI. The results of the MRI came back that i have 2 herniated disks at C5-C6-C7 that are considated mild to moderate.

I was told to contact a neurosurgen and that my only option in the dr.'s eyes was surgery. I don't see the surgeon until Feb.

Has anyone else had these symptoms or had the surgery and what the outcome was?

Thank you,

In pain

Closed Thread