It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
(female)

lalea878 HB User
Question Cervical Laminectomy, C2 thru c7 with 2 fusions

I am 52, in good shape and I am a nurse and was a yoga instructor ..yoga will have to wait a couple more months. I had an ACF, anterior cervical fusion at c5/c6 10 yrs ago...i regret that decision and swored never to do a surgery again! But due to constant shocking to my legs with any bending forward, and loss of balance, loss of feeling to my hands etc...I saw a neurosugeon and he told me my spinal cord being compressed in 3 places, I had a laminectomy 5 weeks ago..c2 thru c/7. I also ended up with 2 more fusions..i know c3/4 and I think the other is at c6/7..surgeon not real clear but I plan to get my post-op notes and surgery notes. I want to know what I am looking at. I went back to work 2 weeks after surgery as I had no time off pay and progressing ok right now, better than I expected (:...I hurt and have a bad day here and there but less and less often these days... but always have and surgeon did not promise any pain relief, just to stop further nuerological damage and and to prevent paralysis. At 5 weeks I think I am doing well compared to many...my NS did not give me much direction post-op...discharged me at my 10 day f/u post-op visit and told me to call if i had issues. How would I know if i had issues? LOL I have googled and searched..but it appears most surgeries are different. He did not tell me to wear a collar, he discouraged it, but i did at times cos it felt better with it on. I just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar surgery? At this point, I have 3 fusions but 1 fusion is 10 yrs oldC5/6 was done as an ACF then 2 more 5 weeks, c3/4 and c6/7 ago with the laminectomy....As a nurse, I know there are only 7 cervical vertebrae, C1 thru C7, and I do not think there is a disc at the highest level...need to review my anatomy! LOL Experience would be appreciated...So basically I have a fusion from 10 yrs ago from an ACF, and 2 new ones at C3/4 and C6/7 Laura

Last edited by lalea878; 11-13-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: misspelled

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Cervical Laminectomy, C2 thru c7 with 2 fusions

Sorry for all the trouble you are having.

I have been thru 5 major spine surgeries and 2 surgeries which was to implant then remove a Spinal Cord Stimulator.

I am now prepping to have a Intrathecal Pain Pump Implanted --- Morphine for the pain.

My issues have been twofold. I have had lumbar issues and cervical issues as well.

In my lumbar spine I had a laminectomy and also another surgery for a condition called Flatback Syndrome. With Flatback because of the way the discs were it caused a forward flexion where I was basically bent over from the waist and couldnt maintain a proper posture, thue Harrington Rods were implanted.

With my neck I had stenosis then a condition called Kyphosis. Similar to the Flatback I could not maintain a proper position for my cervical spine.

So I went thru surgery for the cervical spine. Originally it was supposed to be a 1 day surgery which should have lasted 6-8 hours. Didn't exactly work out that way. They did the posterior part of the surgery first which put Harrington Rods in from C3 to T4 levels. that part of the surgery lasted 8 hours. The following week they did the anterior portion fo the surgery was the fusion. I cant recall if it was 2 or 3 levels that were fused. This was followed by wearing a cervical collar for 4 months. the surgery was back in 2000 and I am thinking there must have been physical therapy after that.

Wasnt there some type of therapy required after the surgery? Something doesnt sound right in what your surgeon did or didn't do for you in the way of treatment. Seems like some sort of therapy would have been in order.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Lalea - I'm not sure what your question is. We could explore whether your surgery was the right one or not, but I guess it's too late for that.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
(female)

lalea878 HB User

Thanks for the info. My question is...what to expect long term I guess. I know we are all different. I am 53 and in decent shape. I do realize now is not the time to question whether I should have done this surgery, but I do. I was losing neurological function including my hands and arms, fingers were numb and I would cut them and not know it, my balance was going and continuous shocking down my legs. Shocking was like electrical currents, intermmitant but would occur like 50 times a day. Mostly with any forward bending, even to get somethhing out of the frig or putting on make up. I danced one night and it was like a shock fest! I made it through the dance but did not dance again. Not painful really, uncomfortable though, and just something that I knew was very wrong. I do have a herniated disc in my lumbar spine but not much trouble with it. I also have one in my thoracic area. I have scoliosis and have a high tolerence to pain due to being in pain most of my life..well since I was 26.

I went to a renowned surgeon and that was his opinion so i did the surgery. Another neurosurgeon in Nashville concurred. My neurologist says I shouldnt have done the surgery...but I could not get him to slow down long enough to talk to me beforehand. He says it could have been something else..but doesnt say what it could have been. I was afraid as they said the longer i waiting, the less chance i had of regaining any function lost. The NS said my cord was compressed in 3 places and the lowest, c6/c7...had no spinal fluid left in it
Anyway, I just do not know what he did exactly. I have a picture and i see 2 levels with vertical rods between the vertebrae, looks like c6/c7 and c5/c6and I think that leaves a lot of instability above but I know there is a reason and glad there are not more rods. ...I have an anterior fusion and I see the plate as well, but that was 10 years ago. The laminectomy was over 2 months ago, 9-27-12. I feel as if I have lost a lot of range of mothion in my neck. It is early and I had to go back to work in 2 weeks due to no benefits, I had my own insurance. I guess I want to know how others with similar procedures fared long term. I am not even sure I should teach yoga again.
I think it is odd that I got no therapy after, the NS discharged me after 10 days. I was instructed not to wear a colar but i did when my neck felt tired because it helped. I went home the next day at my insistance as I think they may have killed me in the hospital! and I am a nurse. LOL Perhaps they dont tell me much because they think i should know, but i am not an orthopaedic nurse. Any info anyne has is appreciated
thx
Laura

Old 12-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
(female)

lalea878 HB User

Pebblebeach3: Harrington rods...arent those used for scoliosis? Perhaps that is what the rods are called that I see on my image of c5/6 and c6/7. Vertical rolds with screws at each level. I also find it odd that the laminectomy I had was from c2 through c7, yet only 2 levels have rods. I am guessing they are for stability.
How are you doing after these surgeries? Your issues do not sound the same as mine, but that is lots of hardware. I am guessing it has not exactly soved anything or you would not have the stimulator or the pending pump placement? Was yours necessary to stop loss of neurological function as well? This is what I was told or i would not have done the surgery. I knew from the ACF 10 years ago that surgeries on chronic issues dont solve my pain issues and is not why I did this last one as I had adjusted to the pain level. I am picturing what you decribe with flatback, and am familiar with kyphosis. I am guessing flatbback syndrome is a loss of the natural lumbar curve?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I'd be really, really careful with the yoga. So careful, in fact, that I probably wouldn't do it at all. There are other ways to stay physically healthy. Could be that things like halasana badly exacerbated a neck that was naturally vulnerable to start out with.

Your surgery was very extensive. If you ever feel like it, I'd really like to see the MRI report from just before the surgery, just to see what conditions would prompt a surgeon to do something so drastic. And your symptoms, too, both before surgery and how they are progressing after surgery. In particular, neck pain, as I understand that removing the C7 lamina, in particular, can be problematic in that regard.

Last edited by WebDozer; 12-20-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Closed Thread