It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
(male)

braveneck HB User
Hmmm....

I finally got in to see a neurologist today about my right foot tingling. He looked at my MRI and said that my spine is okay, I'm not headed for a wheelchair as yet. Not sure about the foot, going to do a nerve study, but probably not a neck problem. This surprised me. He wants me to try neurontin for my neck pain. However, a friend of mine tried it and had a very bad time and he couldn't get it up while on the drug. Lovely. I'm thinking maybe pain is better than not having a sex life. No sex is a different kind of pain.
Also, the doc said that he wouldn't do a three level fusion, because of adjacent level disease, but also because so often fusions just don't work. But he also said that he's not the one having the pain.

Remember, don't get old.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
(female)

Apocalypse917 HB User
Re: Hmmm....

My husband was on Neurontin years ago and yes, it did cause ED. We had those types of problems for over a year, then he was taken off it and we still had those problems for about 6 months....so yes, it CAN cause ED issues. Please though, let me also point out that I know several other men that are on it and they have no ED problems what-so-ever and they have told me it helps with their pain greatly. One of the things to keep in mind with meds is that they affect different people differently, so just because you know someone that has had that issue does not mean that you will have the specific side effect. Personally, I would discuss the concerns with your doctor, find out exactly what the risks are and if there are any comprable alternatives, but overall, your doctor probably knows best and if that is what he thinks you need to take to help you, then you should probably listen to your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
(female)

SALioness HB User

You say "Also, the doc said that he wouldn't do a three level fusion, because of adjacent level disease, but also because so often fusions just don't work. " --- Go for a second opinion to consider total disc replacement. I had it done at 2 levels literally 15 days ago today, and I feel wonderful. Still have some pain but already feeling the benefit of the surgery. By the way, I have disc degeneration from C3 - T1 and for this reason, the doc thought it best to do the replacement so that the adjacent vertebra do not take strain.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
(male)

braveneck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALioness View Post
You say "Also, the doc said that he wouldn't do a three level fusion, because of adjacent level disease, but also because so often fusions just don't work. " --- Go for a second opinion to consider total disc replacement. I had it done at 2 levels literally 15 days ago today, and I feel wonderful. Still have some pain but already feeling the benefit of the surgery. By the way, I have disc degeneration from C3 - T1 and for this reason, the doc thought it best to do the replacement so that the adjacent vertebra do not take strain.

My insurance will not cover disc replacement. Also, if I recall, they would not do a three level disc replacement anyway, because there would be no way to keep the system firm (not sure if I'm using the right term). They do fusions to strengthen the system. The disc replacement discs are not held in by plates and screws, so I think they usually will do only one level, and if multiple levels are bad i think they have to go fusion with metal.
But I have heard that the disc replacement is better in terms of adjacent level problems.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveneck View Post
My insurance will not cover disc replacement. Also, if I recall, they would not do a three level disc replacement anyway, because there would be no way to keep the system firm (not sure if I'm using the right term). They do fusions to strengthen the system. The disc replacement discs are not held in by plates and screws, so I think they usually will do only one level, and if multiple levels are bad i think they have to go fusion with metal.
But I have heard that the disc replacement is better in terms of adjacent level problems.
Disk replacements are done for one level fusions only. Two level replacements are experimental in the US but have been done for years in Europe.

As for the neurontin, it gave me diarrhea but I can't tell you about the other because I am a female.

And neurologists don't perform surgery so I'm scratching my head over his comment that he wouldn't do surgery. Did you mean neurosurgeon-because that is the kind of doctor you should be seeing for this problem.

Last edited by Realhousewife; 11-16-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
(female)

SALioness HB User
Thumbs up Re: Hmmm....

My advice is to find a neurosurgeon is very up to date with the latest, modern techniques – get a second and even third opinion if you have to ---my surgeon attends as many conferences and seminars as possible, apparently, the device which they used on my neck, has also already been “upgraded” 3 times in 1 year.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-17-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Closed Thread