It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User
Question RE: Delayed MRI, etc.,

Hi All,

OK, I hope I'm not taxing the community here. I have a lot of questions, and you guys seem educated. I'm both sorry for that education as well as grateful for your time and assistance/opinions.

I made an appointment immediately with my primary care physician after a car accident (see initial post). I told him I had numbness on my right side, in particular my wrist and foot. He told me I'd be fine, prescribed some medication, and PT. An MRI was not ordered, nor was a consult with a neurologist. I am angry about this, as I know now that this is standard and no one can know whether the 4 months of not knowing I had 4 bulging discs did further damage. I saw the image, and it is a horror still seared in my brain.

I am now in the care of a physiatrist, whom I trust. I do feel, however, I am slipping through the cracks and know I need to be a better advocate for myself. I have questions specific to spinal epidurals, which I've had twice, as well as trigger point injections .In your opinion, is an EMG in order (still feel numbness, although less so in my wrist and am dropping things still). Also, do any of you know if these protrusions can cause extreme fatigue?

I know this is long, and we're all in pain. I will return the favor when I can. I still have not gotten a lower back MRI. It has not even come up. The cervical spine issues are so bad, I think we are focusing on that first. I'm also wondering if these are measures (PT is really just about "icing it" now). I'm frustrated. Does it seem or has it been your experience that these are steps that indicate surgery, because, frankly, I'd rather just get this over with than deal with chronic pain. Just typing this is difficult.

On a totally unrelated note, how the **** do I remove my location? I'm pretty much signing my name here. Any help-even with that one-is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-"H"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Question RE: Delayed MRI, etc.,

They don't do surgery if you have bulging disks. don't you know that? My doctor told me they only do surgery when there is herniated disks.

Second thing, sound like you had a whiplash. So then neck surgery won't be able to fix it because all your tendons, ligaments and muscles have been damaged for life.

If you had a whiplash and pain persists more than 3-6 months then it's for life.
I am sorry to tell you. It's call Chronic pain and even a surgery in the future won't take the pain away cause it's also "intractable" pain.

I would have been better to live in at the time of Lincoln when they didn't have cars so there was no reason to suffer from whiplash. It destroyed many people's lives, not only yours. Carriages are much better. They are slow, but no risk of chronic neck or back pain.

So that is the deal here. You have chronic neck pain. NOthing can be done but taking pain meds.

Last edited by nochange; 11-18-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
(female)

rockenmama HB Userrockenmama HB User

I feel your pain! I was in a skiing accident and neither the ski place OR the hospital worried about my neck (had an obvious broken collarbone) It wasn't until my collar bone was healed (a little over a year later) and I still had pain and other issue's that they even bothered to check my neck. Needless to say I had 2 buldging discs that were compressing my spinal cord.

Anyway pain is NOT enough to warrant surgery. You yourself can do things to help your back like strengthen the muscles in your back to help (of course get doctors ok first)

As far as the EMG if you are showing signs of weakness and sensory problems YES you should have an EMG. As far as the lower back MRI you may not need one. The problems in your cervical spine could be at fault. I have yet to have a lower back MRI despite having neuropathy in both feet. They feel it's due to my spinal cord compression that is in my cervical spine.

The Following User Says Thank You to rockenmama For This Useful Post:
Hemlock07 (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User

Hi rockenmama,

I'm so sorry about your accident. I hope you're doing OK now. Are you?
Thank you so much for taking the time to sort out my questions, as well as sharing your own experience; you really helped me out. What you're saying makes sense. I've been reading a lot about cervical fusion, but I'm going to let the facility I'm going to guide me. btw, I think we both have reasons to be p'od, as the obvious issue for both of us was overlooked.
Yes, you're right about strengthening the back. I have also been working on strengthening the core (the "inner corset") as this takes pressure off the lower back. This would help you, too. I don't know if you're able, but trigger point injections in the neck really helped me. I recommend the procedure. Hopefully, you don't need it. If you have problems with your shoulders being "overactive" (I've been told they want to be on guard constantly for the next trauma, so settling them down is key), you may want to stretch them in a downward motion with those Pilates elastics.
Thanks again for everything. I hope this finds you well. I'm here if you ever need anything. Take care.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User

nochange, I have to say that I am taken aback by your acerbic, cruel response. No, what they didn't tell me was that not all *voluntary* responses in a community-based forum would be helpful, kind, or at the least, didn't make me feel 10 X worse than I did when I reached out for help. Well, now I know. So, there's your "thanks."
You seem to get off on telling me I'm damaged for life, especially since you shouted it at me in all caps. I hate to disappoint you, but I'm not. I also don't believe in your second pleasure (again, shouted at me), letting me know that there is nothing I can do but take medication for this. Again, I hate to disappoint you, but you're wrong.
It's ugly to take such glee at other's misfortune. Here's what you don't know. I'm gonna be fine. And you'll still be mayor of Bitterville and/or a troll.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock07 View Post
Hi rockenmama,

I'm so sorry about your accident. I hope you're doing OK now. Are you?
Thank you so much for taking the time to sort out my questions, as well as sharing your own experience; you really helped me out. What you're saying makes sense. I've been reading a lot about cervical fusion, but I'm going to let the facility I'm going to guide me. btw, I think we both have reasons to be p'od, as the obvious issue for both of us was overlooked.
Yes, you're right about strengthening the back. I have also been working on strengthening the core (the "inner corset") as this takes pressure off the lower back. This would help you, too. I don't know if you're able, but trigger point injections in the neck really helped me. I recommend the procedure. Hopefully, you don't need it. If you have problems with your shoulders being "overactive" (I've been told they want to be on guard constantly for the next trauma, so settling them down is key), you may want to stretch them in a downward motion with those Pilates elastics.
Thanks again for everything. I hope this finds you well. I'm here if you ever need anything. Take care.
Thanks! I was ALOT better for many many years. I took up running in 2004 (2 1/2 years after my accident and have ran over 17,000 miles (since 2006-2012) as well as completing a 100 mile race as well as many 50 mile races (last one was March of 2012). I had a really bad fall in early July during a midnight run at a trail race which has done me in. So now I'm not doing so well. In fact I was supposed to go in for surgery tomorrow however it has been post poned. Yes having a strong core really does help! Anyway good luck with everything and take care!

Pam

Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User

Hi Pam,

I'm so sorry to hear of your fall. I'm proud of you, though, for taking up running despite everything. Wow-you clocked a lot of miles! Kudos! That is really impressive!

If you don't mind my asking, what was the surgery for tomorrow? Please be sure to be good to yourself. I can imagine tomorrow may be difficult. *Hug* I'll be thinking of you, sending you positive vibes. You really were sweet, getting back to me. I hope I can be here for you, too.

I'll check in tomorrow, 'k? I have PT (which hopefully will be more than "icing it"), and a few other appointments there as well. I decided a week ago to go out and photograph something that strikes me. I didn't today, but these cinnamon rolls are gonna count. I ate mine already. It was really good. *hands you a cinnamon roll*

Sweet dreams. Talk soon~

Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock07 View Post
Hi Pam,

I'm so sorry to hear of your fall. I'm proud of you, though, for taking up running despite everything. Wow-you clocked a lot of miles! Kudos! That is really impressive!

If you don't mind my asking, what was the surgery for tomorrow? Please be sure to be good to yourself. I can imagine tomorrow may be difficult. *Hug* I'll be thinking of you, sending you positive vibes. You really were sweet, getting back to me. I hope I can be here for you, too.

I'll check in tomorrow, 'k? I have PT (which hopefully will be more than "icing it"), and a few other appointments there as well. I decided a week ago to go out and photograph something that strikes me. I didn't today, but these cinnamon rolls are gonna count. I ate mine already. It was really good. *hands you a cinnamon roll*

Sweet dreams. Talk soon~
I was to have a level 2 ACDF done. My EKG that was done during pre admission was abnormal which is nothing new to me since I'm an endurance athlete however since I'll be having general anestethia they want me to have a stress test just to make sure nothing has changed since my last stress test in 2006 which showed that I had an "athletic" heart and that the slower heart rythm was due to my fitness.

Good luck at PT and your other appointments.

THANKS!

The following user gives a hug of support to rockenmama:
Hemlock07 (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Nochange - You seem to be - to put it mildly - disillusioned. That's unfortunate, and I wish you were doing better, but you are letting your disillusionment affect what you are telling other people to the extent that you are badly misinforming them. Please be more aware that you are dealing with people's lives here, and to tell them that there's no hope, just because YOU have no hope, is extremely irresponsible and actually rather cruel.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User

Thank you, WebDozer. I felt the same, and told him or her as much. At the time, I literally had my mouth open. I just couldn't believe it. I appreciate your support. Thank you.

Closed Thread