It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User
Re: Cervical Spine Disc Problems, reassurance its not in my head needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
I'm glad to hear that you may have found an easy solution and I hope it works out. (I also don't mind hearing that I was probably right in saying that the nerve entrapment was not in your neck).
Hello, yes you are right, I am sorry I meant to refer, to your post, saying that about the nerve entrapment. Thank you again for your replies, I am just really glad now, that I have a clearer understanding of things, and have been spoken to like a human being etc...aswell as being taken seriously.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

but teddy, what meds did your doctor were talking about?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2012, 03:50 AM   #18
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
but teddy, what meds did your doctor were talking about?
He was talking about Gabapentin, to be taken with the Tramadol, at this stage. I don't get a lot of relief with the Tramadol alone, as I have said, but at the same time, I feel terrible if and when I have missed a dose of it, so am reluctant to stop it completely... its also very difficult for me, as my Mum, has been prescribed, various meds herself over the years, for various conditions she suffers with, such as benzo's and pregabalin, and she has really had some horrendous side effects, she unfortunately, has a lot of food intolerances, and seems to be effected by lots of drugs too, so I know, it's highly likely, I wouldn't suffer as she has, but it makes me more wary of drugs I suppose. I agreed to take the Tramadol, as I had reached a point, when it was prescribed, where I really couldn't function due to the pain I was in, and at the start of taking it, It did help me considerably, that was 2 years ago... Now it's not nearly as effective, but takes the edge off, and as said, I can't cope with the way I feel when I stop it, maybe I could deal with that, if I wasn't in pain aswell, but the dealing with withdrawal on top of pain, is something for me, anyway, I can't cope with at the moment, so this is why I carry on with them.
Having said all of this, I have not had any proper physio, really since I was diagnosed with this, so I am hoping (for now) maybe if I get some decent physio, together with the Tramadol, it "may" help... if not, I will seriously consider other meds and options... I am just glad for now, that someone is taking me more seriously, and I have a little more hope.
As you know, neck pain sucks....

Old 12-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Pain in the neck sux, tell me about that. How is over there in England (colddddd.....).

Listen, I have tried for a long time gabapentin....it's not enough for neck pain.
Physical therapy? I have tried that also and I can tell you I have never heard about anyone it helped their neck pain. Please tell me if it helps you. Include the tens machine which helped in the beginning and then stopped helping me.
I asked my physical therapist if there is anything else they can do for neck pain and she said no, by the way. They just don't have the ways and the technology to treat neck pain, that is the problem. They won't admit it, but that's the deal here.

P.S the only thing I can tell you about gabapentin is that if you take it close to bed time it will help you sleep (but it's not a deep sleep). Some doctors prescribe it for sleep, believe it or not.
Lyrica is better for sleep. I am thinking about trying Lyrica again. It's more potent than gabapentin by the way and the sleep is much better.

So my suggestion to you is: You try for a while gabapentin....if that doesn't work you can ask for Lyrica and see how that goes.

Are you able to work?

Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Hello again,
It is cold here, yes, we are very close to the sea, where I live, so we get the cold winds coming in too and mist and fog... have to say, the cold weather hardly helps either with my neck probs...

I am not able to work, at the mo, no. I used to work in an office, sat at a computer for most of the day, and getting involved with heavy lifting etc... this is what the docs think may have contributed to my problems. I would really like to go back to work, but at the moment, it's hard... with the problems I am having with the pins and needles/numbness and weakness in my hands (which I now know to be Carpal Tunnel) I drop things too, with the pain in my neck and shoulders, its hard to stay sat at a computer for long periods, some days, its hard to do anything, I can't stand for long periods either, so a real nightmare.

Anyway, I am considering the Gabapentin, and hope if you go back with the lyrica, it will help you more, as you say neck pain does suck, and like you so far, I haven't really had any luck in finding anything that really works, I just live in hope.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
(male)

Mikeh66 HB UserMikeh66 HB User

I went to the Veterans Hospital for neck/nerve pain that was not bearable. They gave me a gizmo that hooks to the top of a door, one end has a water bottle that holds 8 lbs of water the other end has a velcro strap that hooks around your head and chin.

Hard to believe but 10 minutes of this pulling my head and relieving the pressure on the nerves and I was completely free of neck pain.

God bless,

Old 12-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #22
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeh66 View Post
I went to the Veterans Hospital for neck/nerve pain that was not bearable. They gave me a gizmo that hooks to the top of a door, one end has a water bottle that holds 8 lbs of water the other end has a velcro strap that hooks around your head and chin.

Hard to believe but 10 minutes of this pulling my head and relieving the pressure on the nerves and I was completely free of neck pain.

God bless,
Oh, wow.... I am pleased it worked for you, but it does sound really horrible... I suppose at the end of the day, anything is worth trying, if it is likely to help, thank you for your reply, and best wishes.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #23
(male)

Mikeh66 HB UserMikeh66 HB User

It only "sounds" that way. It was really no big deal with the exception that it worked. A simple idea when you think about it. Taking the pressure off by gently pulling the head up so the vertabrae can realign and stop pushing on the nerve.

A chiropractor would not be able to do this because it does take about 10 whole minutes and not a couple of seconds that they would be able to apply.

Anyhow I am not trying to sell anything only passing along a great experience.

God bless

Old 12-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #24
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User

Hi,
I just read your message and am thrilled to hear you're finally in the care of a competent doc who takes your problems seriously. You'll be referred out for your other needs-that's great! No more hangin' over the bed. Listen, The TENS is a God-send. I am really hoping it helps you the way it did me.
No one in the world is pain-free, but this is a long way from where you were. I'm so happy for you!
*HuGs*

Closed Thread