It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
(male)

pompey1965 HB User
neck pain

Hi
I have been getting a vice like gripping feeling on my neck i have just had my mri scan report.

The c4/5 and c5/6 cervical intervetebral discs are degenerate.
At c4/5 there is a small to moderate central and left paracentral disc bulge present causing significant but mild effacement of the anterior aspect of the cord and posterior displacement of it,reasonably good preservation of the csf space surrounding it.
bilateral lateral disc osteophyte bars are present.this is larger on the left than the right causing significant narrowing of the exit foramen here.

At c5/6 there is a further moderate broad central disc bulge present causing significant flattening of the cord and posterior displacement of it.there is a degree of obliteration of the csf space posterior to it on the axial views,less convincing on the sagittal views.
marked narrowing of the exit foraminae due to disc osteophyte.

no other significant focal abnormality.no evidence of cord oedema.
however urgent spinal surgical referral is recommended.

That seems a lot of problems just for neck pain any views/answers on what the mri report means please

Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: neck pain

Hard to tell what to make of that. He calls the disk bulges "small to moderate" and "moderate", yet they are pushing the cord backward and even flattening it at one level. "Significant" and "marked" (I wonder which is worse) narrowing of the foraminae, too, but he doesn't say whether or not he thinks the nerves are being pinched (radiculopathy).

I guess the most important takeaway is "however urgent spinal surgical referral is recommended". So he must think the situation is more serious than his rather ambivalent description of it.

Is neck pain your ONLY symptom? Nothing in shoulders, arms or hands from the narrowed foraminae. Nothing in legs from the flattened cord?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

Pompey:

Your opening comments really caught my attention. You stated a vice like gripping feeling in your neck. Can you clarify what you mean by that?

The reason I am asking for years I have had told doctors that I had this feeling that it felt like my spine was in a vice and someone was able to make it tighter and tighter. It doesn't always happen. But I may get several episodes in a short period of time then I can be fine for a long time but then out of the clear blue it starts up again.

I have had spine issues since 1988 & I have been thru mulitiple cervical and lumbar surgeries. And my symptoms varied too depending on what the issue was. But the feeling like my spine was in a "vice" always stands out in my mind and I never got an answer as to what it was or if anyone else ever experienced the same problems.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
(male)

pompey1965 HB User

Hi
Thank you for your posts re my neck pain and mri report.

the only real pain i get is in the neck and at times it is the worst pain i have ever had,i dont tend to get to get any pain elsewhere only a bit in my lower back which i had an x-ray 2 years ago,which showed degenative discs.

The only way i can describe the vice like feeling at the back of the neck is as if someone has put their hands around the back of my neck and are tighting their grip,the pain than gets to a point were the gripping feeling stops. the pain is there everyday but it seems some days are a lot worse than others.
on average i am taking 2/4 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen a day to try and ease the pain.

I had the mri scan on a friday and got the results on the following tuesday thats the bit that surprised me along with the urgent spinal referral is recommended.
my doctor said to me would you like to go and see someone about this.
errrrrr yes.
Again thank you for your earlier posts.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

What was determined from the MRI? Do you know why you were getting that feeling like your neck was being gripped and getting tighter?

I would be curious since I think we are describing the same thing. While mine does not occur to the same frequency as yours it is still troublesome for me and does cause a great deal of pain while it lasts.

Good luck and let us know what they plan to do for you in the way of treatment.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
(male)

pompey1965 HB User

thank you pebblebeach.
waiting for an appointment to see a consultant.
i told my doctor about the neck pain and he sent me for x ray then the mri thats as much as i know at present.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User

I can relate to that. I felt as if there were a band of pain around my neck. It left it difficult to describe in those diagrams trying to determine pain-I'd just want to draw a necklace. What helped immensely-I just got a bill saying that my insurance doesn't cover it, so check first so you're not stuck with a bill. Even then, I'd have it done if I were you. However, if you have this because of a car accident and/or have retained counsel, their word is the top. Anyway, I received 3 series of "trigger point injections." They are a set (perhaps 4 the 1st time, 6-8 or so the last) of small, acupuncture-like needles given where the pain is (in your case, the vice around your neck), filled with Lidocaine. Initially, it hurt like hell-but eventually, after resting and icing it, etc., it was the only thing that made any difference. At one point, I couldn't even move my neck.
Look into it. Trigger-point injections. Mine was given by a physiatrist.
Best of luck.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
(male)

bequick HB User

You can do yoga practice

Last edited by Administrator; 12-03-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Closed Thread