It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

kim1101 HB User
myelomalacia

Hi everyone,
Everyone was so helpful with my questions about mri. I was hoping that you could tell me about reactive myelomalacia.
Thanks so much!!!!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: myelomalacia

I don't know where the word "reactive" came from, but I'd assume that it just means that the apparent myelomalacia is in reaction to a known cause, i.e. the disk.

As for myelomalacia itself, it's permanent damage. All you can do it try to stop it from getting worse. You can read plenty about it online. If that doesn't motivate you to start taking care of this first thing tomorrow morning, I'm not sure what will.

Really... get those appointments with surgeons and let them tell you about myelomalacia.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
kim1101 (11-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User
Re: myelomalacia

Myelomalacia is a medical condition in which the spinal cord becomes soft. It is caused by insufficient blood supply to the spinal cord, either as a result of bleeding or because of poor circulation. Myelomalacia most often occurs as a result of injury. The elderly are most at risk for the condition, because of reduced bone density, leading to greater risk of spinal cord injury. Athletes are also at increased risk of spinal cord injury.

Caused by mild to severe spinal cord injury, myelomalacia leads to neurological problems, often related to muscle movement. Often, the onset of the condition is slow and subtle, making it difficult for doctors to catch at an early stage. Myelomalacia may present simply as high blood pressure, for example, and may not be diagnosed until after the point at which it has become inoperable.

While symptoms vary, they may include loss of motor function in the lower extremities, sudden jerking of the limbs, an inability to sense pain, depression, difficulty breathing, and paralysis. The damage can migrate towards the brain in a condition known as ascending syndrome. Myelomalacia can be fatal if it causes paralysis of the respiratory system.

Unfortunately, neurological damage due to myelomalacia is permanent. It can also worsen, as the nerve damage can cause affected muscles to whither. Treatment is focused on preventing further damage. Possible treatments include spinal cord surgery and medication with steroids, which serves to relax spastic muscles, reduce pain, and reduce swelling of the spinal cord.

The following user gives a hug of support to Realhousewife:
kim1101 (11-27-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Realhousewife For This Useful Post:
kim1101 (11-27-2012)
Closed Thread