It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
(male)

anfieldkid HB User
MRI of Spinal cord

I went for an MRI of my spinal chord as I felt tingling in left hand weakness in left arm aswell as a "stiff/clicking" neck.

Results were: There is a small right paramedian focal disc protrusion at the C6/7 level however no cord or nerve root compression is confirmed.

Can someone tell me what does this mean and what could have caused this and if their is a way to fix this?

Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: MRI of Spinal chord

<< There is a small right paramedian focal disc protrusion at the C6/7 level however no cord or nerve root compression is confirmed. >>

If that's what the radiologist wrote in his impressions, then he doesn't think there's any reason for concern in the MRI. Also, the disk protrusion is on the right, and your symptoms on the left.

Does the left-hand tingling affect particular fingers, and does the left-arm weakness affect particular muscles?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
(male)

anfieldkid HB User

Is their a way to get rid of this protrusion without surgery? My neck is feeling quite "stiff/clicking" of late.

My left hand would be my left index finger . Doesnt feel like its affecting the muscles my arm just kinda feels "floppy"?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

If the protrusion really is "small", as he says, I doubt that you could have surgery even if you wanted it.

The index finger effect - if it were caused by a pinched nerve - would be caused by C6 (the C5-6 level), which you don't even mention from the report.

As for the "floppiness", it would be helpful if you could ascertain a loss of strength in one or more muscles of the shoulder/arm. This may help:
""
C5 also supplies the shoulder muscles and the muscle that we use to bend our elbow
C6 is for bending the wrist back
C7 is for straightening the elbow""

Several possibilities:

1. You got a lousy radiologist's report on your MRI. That seems to happen all too often. Still, to not even mention the most likely problem level, when he specifically mentions a minor abnormality at another level, would be very strange.

2. Your C6 is pinched, but not in your spine. The elbow is the most likely culprit.

3. Something else

If you can take this as far as a neurosurgeon, you may as well. He may disagree with the report. He may have suggestions about alternatives.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
(male)

anfieldkid HB User

Im going to write out the full report for you it might help in your opinion..

Im not really looking at surgery.. Id like to know regarding it the following:

1. What could have caused this? Bad posture? Weight lifting?
2. Can the protrusion get worse and lead to pinching of the nerves?
3. How can I make it better without surgery, if possible?

Here is the full report:

Clinical History: Patient with a history of paraesthesia down the left hand and intermittent left-sided weakness. Possible whiplash injury a week ago, nerve root compression at C5/6/7? Brachial plexus injury. No motor weakness? Vascular intracranial pathology.

MRI OF CERVICAL SPINE:
Technique: Sagittal 61,T2 AND STIR. AXIAL T2.

Findings:

Normal craniocervical junction. The cervical vertebra are normally aligned. The cervical cord has a normal apperance. No epidural haematoma is evident.

C2/3 and C3/4: No focal disc protrusion or nerve root compression

C4/5 and C5/6: No focal disc protrusion or never root compression

C6/7 level: There is a small central and right paramedian disc protrursion which extends posterior to the right C6 vertebreal body. There is however no cord compression or spinal stenosis and no specific foraminal or neural compression is evident.

C7/T1: No focal disc protrusion or nerve root compression.

COMMENT:

There is a small right paramedian focal disc protrusion at the C6/7 level however no cord or nerve root compression is confirmed.

What do u make of this?

THANKS AGAIN!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

To my amateur's eyes, that report really looks benign. In fact, if I had to guess your age based just on the report, I'd say you're in your 30's. People over 40 would likely have more things wrong. If you want to read a bad one (mine), you can find the My Pre-Laminoplasty MRI thread.

What caused the disk protrusion? If you're over 40, I'd say that age caused it. Under 40, maybe putting too much pressure on a bent neck (some kind of exercise or yoga).

As for what to do about your symptoms, that would really depend on where the problem is. If you keep having the hand/arm symptoms, you could try a nerve conduction study to see where the nerve is being affected.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
(male)

anfieldkid HB User

I wasnt expecting a bad report I was checking to see if their was a reason I had tingling in my left arm and numbness aswell as left foot and in addition if their was anything else they picked up.

Im 26 years old.

Pressure as in lifting weights at gym and sitting badly at computer?

Where can I go to get a nerve conduction study?

Thanks

Old 12-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

I don't know about SA, but in the US neurologists and physiatrists will do nerve conduction test.

I don't know that bad computer posture would hurt your cervical spine - at least not at your age. More likely to hurt lumbar than cervical.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:15 AM   #9
(male)

anfieldkid HB User

I see...would you think it was lifting weights incorrectly?

Must I ask the neurologist to conduct a nerve test to see?

I took phedra cut (similar to hydroxycut in the U.S) and I mixed it with corenza C ( for flu) and its where this whole thing started...Do u think the interaction of the 2 maybe attacked my nerves? If so, would a nerve conductor test be able to pick it up?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Your questions are pretty much out of my league. Weightlifting is much more likely to injure the lower back than the upper, but anything can happen, and I don't know exactly what you were doing. As for the nerve conduction study, I don't know how things work in SA, so I can't say. In the U.S. it would vary between insurance plans, but if you're willing to pay out of pocket (a lot) you could get anything.

As for the drugs, I have no clue...

Last edited by WebDozer; 12-03-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
(male)

anfieldkid HB User
Re: MRI of Spinal cord

So whats my next step? Who should I go see?

Closed Thread