It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
(male)

VeryBigFish HB User
Disk Degeneration C5-C6 with spurs from c4-c6. Reverse curvature

Dear Friends,

I have no where to turn and so I turn to you. First my story, I am 33, academic, overwight who used to be a sportsman. I had felt myself invincible for so many years until just 3 weeks ago.

I had a ultra long flight (20 hrs) and the following day I felt a aching neck and realised I cannot bend my head back much as there will be an acute pain. This pain started shifting down to my right deltoid and no matter what I did it simply does not go away. Sleeping became a nightmare, the only way I could have some temporary relief is if I lift my right hand above my head. I figured its a neck sprain or something. I basically ignorned it for the entire week and continue flying... I flew close to 90 hrs in 10 days actually... which was agony and I guess made things worst.

When I finally got back home, the pain was simply too much, I looked for my GP who prescibled strong pain-killers (day 8-9) and suggested I do a xray (which I did) with the pain killers, I was finally semi-painful and could rest properly. In fact by day 11 and 12 I felt good enough to stop pain meds altogether. The pain is now more like a dull ache that comes on an off. I still cannot really bend my head back much (less pain but still there when I bend). I thought I have finally made a turn for the better...until...

Day 13, I saw my x ray results... cervical spondylosis (reverse lordonsis at c5-c6 with disk narrowing and muscule spasm), small spurs at c4-c6 as well...conclusion disk degeneration at c5-c6. He recommended an orthepdic to have a better diagnoisis...at that time...my felt my stomach came up my throat... it got worst that day when i started to realise my right arm seems weaker now..not a lot but noticeable.

Since then, its day 20 now, I have seen the orthepdic would recommended I do an MRI to be sure and I am awaiting to do it next week. I virtually have no pain now. I can bend my head more or less all the way back with only a very small dull ache. In the morning at times I can still feel a slight ache in the right neck. I still feel a slight stretch on my right collar if I titl my head left. I think my right arm is still weaker... I got no numbness, no tinglinging, no pain except some dull ache once in a while (nothing compared with what I had in the beginning).

In truth, although I feel physcially better now (3 weeks from start of pain) than at week1, inside I just feel worst. Its 80% mental angish and 20% physcial issue...Waiting for the MRI, I keep thinking maybe all this is just really a sprain that pushed the spurs to "touch" the nerve or this or that or .....this mental agony is simple horrible.

Sorry for such a long thread. I just needed to vent a little. Anyone has similiar issues?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
(male)

VeryBigFish HB User
Re: Disk Degeneration C5-C6 with spurs from c4-c6. Reverse curvature

Anyone with similiar experience?

Does the arm weakness get better over time?

Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

No point in worrying about it, right now, although you might want to cut out the extreme yoga and the rugby for a while. Disk degeneration and bone spurs are so common as to be "normal" once people get to a certain age, although you're still a little young for that. The reverse lordosis may be caused by the muscle spasm.

Anyway... let's just wait for the MRI.

Also, if you are going to fly a lot, you should get a travel pillow that can keep your head/neck from going into a stressed position when you fall asleep.

Last edited by WebDozer; 12-03-2012 at 04:59 AM.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
(male)

VeryBigFish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
No point in worrying about it, right now, although you might want to cut out the extreme yoga and the rugby for a while. Disk degeneration and bone spurs are so common as to be "normal" once people get to a certain age, although you're still a little young for that. The reverse lordosis may be caused by the muscle spasm.

Anyway... let's just wait for the MRI.

Also, if you are going to fly a lot, you should get a travel pillow that can keep your head/neck from going into a stressed position when you fall asleep.
Hi WebDozer,

I know worrying does not solve anything...but its really not something I can take out of my mind....Although I have no major pain, my arm weakness really gave me a huge scare...especially at my age.... really makes me sick to the stomach to think of my future....I just hope my symtoms are casued by the muscle spasm (which casue the reverse lordosis) and that sort of trigger some spur or disk to "contact" a nerve... hopefully, once the muscle spasm is gone and the c5-c6 portion returns to normal curve, everything will be back to "normal".

Due to this, I have talked to quite a few people, who have relate many incidents to me and it marvels me how strong people can be and incidently how weak minded I really am...

To all you folks out there that is finding strength through all this...I must really say I salute you.

Closed Thread