It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
(female)

tropicalmama HB User
Difficulty swallowing after anterior cervical spinal surgery

In reading other queries, I realize this is not an uncommon occurance, but my surgeon claims he doesn't know why i am having this problem. My surgery was 6 weeks ago and this is uncomfortable and I feel miserable. I'm a avid cook so you can imagine the difficulty I have not being able to swallow easily!
Can you me tell the solution.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
(female)

sbcatt HB User
Re: Difficulty swallowing after anterior cervical spinal surgery

I had the same trouble after my ACDF 5 years ago. I had a 2 level 4-6 with plate & screws. Many people have trouble with only certain foods. Meat just wouldn't go down. It's a texture thing. Apple sauce = easy. Hamburger with bun = difficult. The scary part is finding out which food is going to cause a problem. Improvement after 3-6 months is possible.

You may want to ask for a swallow test 3 months post-op. A diagnosis of dysphagia may yield treatment that will help.

Small bites, chewed very well, lots of water. Avoid trigger foods. Yes, it's annoying that I can't cruise Costco and enjoy the samples but it is what it is.

Try not to smack the people who say that at least it helps keep your weight down.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
(female)

byoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB User
Smile Re: Difficulty swallowing after anterior cervical spinal surgery

I had these same problems, I had my anterior surgery a year ago. I still have trouble but not as much, did it get better or did I get used to it? I don' t know. But at least it doesn't freak me out choking and splattering food or drink all over the place. Anyway, just wanted to tell you my experience.

Closed Thread