It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

crazywithpain HB User
pain getting worse

I was due for anterior cervical multi-level corpectomy and fusion and multi-level posterior wire fusion today. It has been scheduled since Sept and 4 days ago the hospital denied to allow the operation because medicaid would not pay enough to satisfy them. I asked for a written reason and they refused. I went to Christus St. Michaels and they accepted me with no hesitation. After having to wait so long my pain has continued to worsen and now I have to wait another month. Im consistantly getting worse and as the weather gets colder my feet and hands hurt with the slightest movement and my whole right side is sensitive to touch. I would like any replies.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: pain getting worse

You are too young for all those operations. 31? that's all?
How did it all start? I see you get medicare, so you are on disability?
how did you get on that being so young?

Oh, please don't tell me you had a car accident....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
(female)

crazywithpain HB User

I get medicaid not medicare. I have my disability hearing in Jan. I have worked as CNA for 16 yrs so Ive had a lot of wear and tear but I did have a pretty bad wreck in 2008. I started limping and was told my sciatic nerve was pinched. Then my shoulder started hurting alot off and on until I tryed to lift my arm on day and it didnt move. MRI showed ruptured disc pressing against spinal cord. Had ACDF and felt better for a while then downhill from there. Hopefully my next surgery will be successful. Ive been trying to get as much info as possible but not many people have had this much done at one time. All I really know is the surgery is going to be about 6 hrs long and I will have a long painful recovery. I would really like to hear others experiences. Im praying for everyone here and hope that others pray for me.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Wait a minute, you said they refused. Did they tell you why?
I am asking you that because perhaps they think it is not necessary or will cause you further damage. Think about that.

Second thing, why do they have to do that much at one time? Are you sure that is the only way to do it?

Sorry, but I have never done any surgery and hope will never have to do.
But I wish you all the best.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
(female)

crazywithpain HB User

The hospital refused because my surgery is too costly even with medicaid.
I went to administration and asked for a written reason whyI was turned down at the last minute and they refused to give me anything. When I went to the other hospital there was no problem and got me an set up on the spot. They said the other hospital had been turning away a lot of people. The ones that have regular insurance they want to pay a very large amount up front. Anyways yes the surgery is very neccesary. My myelogram was very clear. The doctor showed me exactly what the problem is. Im in terrible pain everyday. If I had never experienced nerve pain myself I would'nt have ever believed it could be this bad. It wakes me up out of my sleep almost nightly. My arm hurts so bad sometimes I cut chop it off. My balance is getting a lot worse causing me to fall. I dont care how nuch they have todo at one time if it will give me some relief.

The following user gives a hug of support to crazywithpain:
Hemlock07 (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User

Hi, I'm so sorry. This is a class A ummm. . . "mess up." If I were you, I would get on the phone with the doc who suggested surgery and let him or her know what's going on. Have you tried that? This is something between a patient and the doctor. Not an office administrator who's never met you. Surely, the doc believes firmly in this decision and will help you.
Hoping for the best~

Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User

Of course I am praying for you. You need to get the doctor on your side. Please keep us posted. My thoughts are with you. This can't be easy. I know it's anxiety-provoking to wait for a procedure, much less an operation. It makes the pain worse, and round it goes. Try to stop that cycle (emotions feed the pain, pain makes you more upset, which makes the pain worse. . .), by whatever means necessary. Get the doctor on board-I can tell you he or she is not going to like a. being second guessed by some >>>>> (imagine the rest-try to laugh) b. having his patient continue to be in pain, after she thought she'd be recovering right now.
I'm so sorry this happened. I'd say "things happen for a reason," but this just sucks. Think about a little bit in the future, your typing to this community how your recovery is coming along.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
(female)

crazywithpain HB User
Angry Re: pain getting worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock07 View Post
Hi, I'm so sorry. This is a class A ummm. . . "mess up." If I were you, I would get on the phone with the doc who suggested surgery and let him or her know what's going on. Have you tried that? This is something between a patient and the doctor. Not an office administrator who's never met you. Surely, the doc believes firmly in this decision and will help you.
Hoping for the best~
The doctor tried to work things out but it didnt help. The administrator said that the cage alone would be $17,000 and couldnt risk it. The doctor told them that he copuld work with the company that supplies the part and they could donate it or give a discount. The administrator had the final word. What bothers me is that if this was proper cause to refuse me then why couldnt they put it in writting.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
(female)

crazywithpain HB User

This type of pain is like nothing else that I know of. Sometimes your arm burns; other times you cant pick up anything with your hand. Then you can be walking just fine and start strubbling around cause your balance is off. Most nights getting sleep is a mission. If you get in a comfortable position take advantage of it and sleep as long as you can (which is usually a couple hrs). Lifting my head off the bed is a no no unless I hold it with my hands. Ive gotten used to rolling to get out of bed but I heard thats a good thing because thats what Ill have to after surgery. After going though all this I can still thank God for allowing me to see another day. Everythings happens for a reason. I will still have the same doctor and thats a blessing. I have a very good doctor and wouldnt want to trust anyone else with my neck. Thanks for the replies. Anyone that can help me prepare your advise would be appreciated. I know its going to be painful but hearing it from someone with experience would be GREAT.

Closed Thread