It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User
New Symptoms - Cervical Spine

Hello,
I have started a new thread, as I have been getting some new symptoms, recently, and just wondered if there is anyone out there that has maybe had the same...
A quick summary of my ongoing problems:I have bulging discs, quite bad at C6/C7, and milder bulges at C3/C4, there is some flattening of the spinal chord, straightening of the normal cervical lordosis and osteophytes, together with a fair bit of degenerative disc disease throughout the cervical spine.

I have been suffering with neck and shoulder pain for 3 years now (my left shoulder had a cuff repair last year) but both shoulders are causing me pain now. But more recently, I have had what I can only describe as severe lower jaw pain on the right side. I really don't think it is coming from my teeth, but have a dental appointment to get it checked anyway. But with this pain, I have noticed, it comes on, if I lay on my right side, or tilt my head to the right, if I have been say, sitting at the pc, for a long period, or in a position which involves my head not being straight. The pain is relieved dramatically when I change the position of my head... I have also had a real feeling of tightness at the back of my neck too, when I have the jaw pain. It isn't all the time, (thank goodness, as the level of pain, is seriously off the ricta scale) and it does calm down, when I move, and this is why I am thinking, could this be connected with my neck problem. (normally with normal toothache moving the position of my head, hasn't helped me).

I have searched the net, and there is a little about jaw pain being connected with neck problems, but I just wondered, if anyone else, had suffered with this at all.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User
Re: New Symptoms - Cervical Spine

Hi,
Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. Pain is stressful; you may have TMJ. Your dentist will let you know. Does your jaw make a "popping" noise when you open your mouth wide? That's an indication. I have it, and wearing a bite plate at night (while not comfortable) is extremely helpful. You may get one of those made for you. They take a dental impression, and then call you back in when it's made.
Neck problems seem to affect everything. It's daunting.
I hope you feel better.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Hello and thank you for your reply, my jaw doesn't make a popping sound, but does have what I would describe as a kind of a clicking feeling towards the right side. I have a lot of pain around my shoulder blades today and am getting really fed up with being in pain all the time, I wish there was something out there, that could relieve all the pain, or at least make it more manageable so it doesn't have to effect each day... unless you have suffered with neck problems, I don't think you can understand. I sympathise very much with everyone out there who is suffering with pain, it really does have such an effect on your life.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User

You're quite welcome. I agree. I don't know why neck pain is seen as something not-so-bad. Anyway, you already know that part.
Have you tried trigger point injections? Not for the dental problems, but your neck? Mine were given to me by a physiatrist. They are acupuncture type needles filed with pain reliever (usually Lidocaine) at the "trigger points" (most painful parts) of your neck. It sounds a little scary, but the relief is tremendous and the pain only feels like a pin-*****, It's done several times over the course of three weeks, usually.
I know what you're going through. I hope you find some relief.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Hello again, yes I have had trigger point injections, several times, as well as a nerve root injection for my neck, but unfortunately neither worked. I was seen at the hospital again today, and had some nerve conduction tests done earlier in the year, and have found out today, I seem to have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome in both hands aswell - at least this answers some questions with regards to weakness and pins and needles there - and I am being referrred for some proper physiotherapy now too ( I had some a few years ago, that involved dangling my head over the edge of a bed and trying to hold it as long as I could) so stopped going, the Doc I saw today, was horrified, when I told him what they had done... he is going to arrange for me to have some treatment with a tens machine too, and then if these things do not work, we will go back to the drawing board, and see where we go from there.... it has taken 3 years, to finally get seen by someone who is going to do something, that hopefully will help. so fingers crossed.
Thank you again for your replys.

The following user gives a hug of support to teddybearhugs:
Hemlock07 (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User

Hi. Thank for the update. I'm sorry to hear about the carpal tunnel. Are you going to get one of those hand devices? I hope so-I know someone who has C.T and they swear by it. Also, it looks cool-makes you look like a warrior.
OK-so I can see going through trigger points if they work; makes sense. But they didn't? I'm sorry. I got a bunch yesterday and am feeling it today, but I was atop of the world yesterday. Today, I answered the door in my pj's (it's 4PM) with my jacket on top (to distract from outfit?) to a neighbor who wanted to have some wine. Um-mm-I'm pureeing my food with the taste of Lidocaine in my mouth. I'm trying to make you laugh. I hope it's working. This whole experience, I know it's depressing and isolating. It sucks.
Not only are my fingers crossed, so are my toes. The TENS will work. I know it-Incidentally, I got one on loan, and have been using it. Do NoT give up. Sometimes it just feels odd. That's when you change the electrode placement or ask the PT to modulate the pace. I don't know how it works with your insurance, but I'm hoping you'll get covered and get some relief that way in the comfort of your own space while the doc. you trust figures this out.
You have had nerve root? You mean spinal epidural? I'm in for a facet injection next week and the week afterward. Christmas can go now. I am so nervous, I can't even think about it.
Have you been to the dentist? I have a feeling it's TMJ. It's usually stress-related. Years of chronic pain will do that. Another reason to try the TENS. My hope is that once your neck pain is properly treated, this will at least die down.
So much rest and icing and heating-now the neighbors think I'm mad. Oh well, sometimes I feel so.
Best to you and keep me posted, 'k? I like the path you're going down. The TENS is great. You trust this doctor. It can only get better from here. ((HuG))

Old 12-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Hello,
Yes I will be getting wrist splints for my carpal tunnel, so hopefully they will help me out. With regards to the dentist, bit of a nightmare, my appointment had to be re-arranged, so have a week now to wait, but... haven't been having any pain for days at mo (please fingers crossed, it will stay that way..)
I think the nerve root injection, is the same as a spinal epidural, I think here in England we call it something different that's all... but it never helped me at all, unfortunately. Hopefully some proper physio and the tens machine will though.
2 years ago, I was seen by a physiotherapist, who thought the way forward was for me to lay on a bed, with my head hanging over the edge to try and strengthen my neck muscles... this caused such intense pain during and after, I never went back, and the Doctor I saw yesterday was horrified, I had been subjected to that!!! He is recommending gentle physio, with gentle exercises to do at home, which sounds a lot more appropriate to me.

Anyway, you did make me laugh, so thanks for that. I wish you all the best with all your treatments, and wish you happy holidays too.
(I will keep you posted with my treatment, when it starts)
Best Wishes xx

Closed Thread