It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User
Hi All - What Should I Know about Upcoming Facet Joint Injection?

Hope everyone is as well as possible. What I really wish is that we were all off-the-Richter wonderful, but then reading this board would just be weird, right? I have a question to ask-has anyone had a facet injection? I'd like to get some first-hand knowledge as to what to expect.

I had trigger points yesterday. It provided much relief, although today I feel lousy. There's a lot of cracking and crunching going on. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

On a positive note, I tried the TENS unit, and can't recommend it highly enough for lower back, neck, and shoulder pain.

I find this entire experience isolating and depressing. I never would have believed, into I was in it, just how painful, both physically and emotionally, this would be. I'm trying to stay positive, but I am almost always -close to losin' it.

Thanks for reading. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-23-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Hi All-What Should I Know about Upcoming Facet Joint Injection?

With whiplash don't expect much. There is no treatment but trying pain medication.
All those injections are temporaty only. Eventually you will need meds till the rest of your life.

Thanks for the car's inventor (In Germany) - Not much is needed to destory your life. A little whiplash and that's it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
(female)

byoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB User

I just read your post, I am so sorry you are in this shape, it sucks. I have been walking, well hobbling down this road for many years now. I have a tens, its not much in my opinion either, I have had all the injections, and blocks. I have to say the facet injections did help, as did the trigger injections. I thought I was in heaven for a day after the shoulder injections. Anyway, its not that bad, and if it helps, hey, even a little relief is better than none.
I just wanted to say that I am sorry you are going thru this and I am thinking of you. Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to byoung6 For This Useful Post:
Hemlock07 (01-19-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear hemlock, Im sorry that this is probably after your facet injection but Im new to this board &just read your posts. My son had complete resolution of a herniated disc from ESI's & I see that you have similar trouble but in your neck. TENS works great for me also. Im curious to know if the steroid injs are helping you? I know spine pain & the isolation that you speak about. It helped me so much the first time that someone related to my pain on hb & they were in similar pain! So, I hope that you are getting relief from the neck pain & are doing better.

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
Hemlock07 (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User

Thank you, byoung6, for replying to my post. I appreciate your compassion. I'm sorry you've been going through pain, hobbling, as you say. You're very kind-thank you. I'm sending you healing thoughts. I can see you've been through it, and I hope things start to get better.
You're right, it wasn't that bad. I got them on both sides, repeated. You know the drill. Turns out, though, they didn't help, either. I had a doc. appointment (post-procedure follow up) with the surgeon's asst. yesterday and was referred out for possible Botox injections. And another medication recommendation. I couldn't help but think it was you, nochange. Please laugh, I am not insulting you-and btw-I am starting to believe you, nc. Although I don't blame Germany or cars, and I won't live on no hope and narcs for the next however many years I'm here. And If I were, I wouldn't espouse it. It takes away hope for others and once that's gone, you've smoked your last cigarette.
I was also told that PT and repeating these would not help at all. I had gotten relief early on, but once things "set," that's it, I guess. I have felt this way, in varying degrees, since the summer.
The kicker is, what else can one think of when they feel this way-hard to make polite conversation when all you feel is pain-but NO ONE wants to hear it. I would have kept more friends had I said I was a lying drug-addled kleptomaniac, but hell if anyone wanted to stick around for *this.*
Thanks again for your kindness. btw, I love your picture. Take care of yourself.

Last edited by Hemlock07; 01-19-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User

Hi gmak. Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply. I'm so happy to hear that your son has had complete resolution.
Thanks for speaking to the isolation problem. It does help when people reach out. You've helped me by doing just that.
Best to you and your son.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi hemlock, I can highly empathize with the ongoing pain & i have to go from ice to heat to tens to meds to hot baths to stretching exercises to get a little relief. But, i have lumbar pain & im not sure how to stretch my neck other than just stretch my neck! Lol I personally think that hot soaking baths help as much as any medicine. We want to hear when you are in pain & i am very familiar with the scenario of friends that dont want to hear it, so i hope that you will post here! We know & care. I hope that you find relief soon, or at least enough to relief suffering.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi I've had facet injections and sometimes when they don't work there is another step they can go radio frequency ablation where they burn the the nerve causing the pain but not the motor nerves you use. Just thought I would add this for future reference , cathy

Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
(female)

twistedsailor HB User
Re: Hi All - What Should I Know about Upcoming Facet Joint Injection?

Hope everyone is as well as possible. What I really wish is that we were all off-the-Richter wonderful, but then reading this board would just be weird, right? I have a question to ask-has anyone had a facet injection? I'd like to get some first-hand knowledge as to what to expect.

I had trigger points yesterday. It provided much relief, although today I feel lousy. There's a lot of cracking and crunching going on. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

On a positive note, I tried the TENS unit, and can't recommend it highly enough for lower back, neck, and shoulder pain.

I find this entire experience isolating and depressing. I never would have believed, into I was in it, just how painful, both physically and emotionally, this would be. I'm trying to stay positive, but I am almost always -close to losin' it.

Thanks for reading. Thanks in advance for your replies.[/QUOTE]

I've had facet injections and they did wonders for me. A quick summary of me, I had a spinal fusion L5-S1 for a 140 mm slippage when I was 14 years old. I'm 42 now. The surgery did great and gave me many years of being active, running, snow skiing etc. In the last few years, my back has gone to crap again. I was running 4 to 5 miles a day on the treadmill so was in great shape. I started painting the inside of our house while simultaneuosly starting several projects in our yard like putting in a patio with pacers and seeral flower beds framed by bricks. Yes, I was hauling bricks and bags of sand and dirt, and dicgging holes with the shovel, and climbing up and down the ladder and twisting into all sorts of contortionist poses while painting the ceiling a different color then the walls and around cabinets etc. I accidentally backed into the door knob more than once and left a permanent hole near the scar from my first surgery. I als slipped off the lower rung on the ladder and landed hard, giving my back a jolt. Hdn't been to my back dr in ears so he did a complete work up. L4 is sliding now, I have a torn disc and a large cyst on my spinal cord between L4and L5. The cyst is compressing the left 5th nerve root, causing numb toes. I also have severe stenosis and the facet joints are basically grinding bone on bone. I'm not emotionally ready to do another fusion yet, so I tried the cortisone injections.

The first set they gave me a caudal epidural and tried to inject into the space within my fusion. The report says it was impossible to get a needle in there. This injection helped a lot, but only lasted about 3 months, so I went back in and had another round. Again, the de ftried to get the needle in my fusion area and he hit a nerve this time. OW. My right leg was completely number for a couple hours after that. So this injection also helped a great deal, but still had a lot of pain.

3rd set, I changed drs. He decided to do the injections a little different. He did get the needle into my fusion sitewithout nailing the nerve. He also injected the facet joints. The first week or so I think my pain was actually a little worse, but over the next few weeks, my pain levels dropped significantly. I had been to the point, I could barely walk around the grocery store or home depot without crying. I couldn't sleep because the pain got worse when I laid down. Anyway, this last set was on Dec 29, 2011 and they've done wonders. I'm back to going to the gym, though no longer running. I rarely feel that urning stabbing pain that had been driving me insane. I'm also back snowskiing again, which is big for me. I still get a sore back when I overdo it, which is mainly cramped muscles and flexereil helps. But that stabbing burning nerve pain has been gone for close to a year. I beleive it was the facet joint injection that did the trick. Unfortunately, I'm starting to get that pain again so may go in for another round of shots. A year of relief was retty good results though. I'm alsothinking maybe I should go ahead and get the fusion done before Obama care starts affecting the care I get.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-23-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
facet injection, tens, trigger point