It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
(male)

MarwanAbdou HB User
Lumbar Spine Disorder

I need someone to translate my MRI report into English, it says :

* L5-S1 left intraformation disc herniation moderate compression to left nerve root.
* L4-5 diffuse posterior bulging moderate compression to thaecal sac and bilateral nerve roots.

Does such this case needs surgery or can be relived with Physiotherapy and medications only

Last edited by MarwanAbdou; 12-27-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Lumbar Spine Disorder

The left L5 nerve (from the L5-S1 level) is being "moderately" compromised by a herniated disk as it exits the spinal canal. "Moderate" is standard radiologist-speak for "possibly problematic", but it's still one step below "severe".

At L4-L5 there's a broader disk protrusion (but apparently not a herniation) that is affecting BOTH nerve roots (left and right). The radiologist doesn't supply an adjective for the nerve root impingement at this level, so one might guess that he doesn't think it's a big deal. He does say the thecal sac compression achieves "moderate" status, but I don't think that's as great a concern in the lumbar spine as it would be in the cervical.

Just based on the MRI report, I doubt that anyone would recommend surgery right now, unless they really wanted to do the surgery themselves, for their own reasons. I would expect that a determined effort at physical therapy and self-therapy exercises would be tried first.

If you haven't already, you might want to duplicate your post on the Back Problems board, as there is more lumbar expertise over there.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
MarwanAbdou (12-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
(male)

MarwanAbdou HB User
Re: Lumbar Spine Disorder

Thanks so much for your concern.

Closed Thread