It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
(female)

rodeogirl31520 HB User
New & need help!!

Not sure where to begin....I have an MRI that is quite a few years old (neck spurs) and would REALLY love to understand what the report actually says..no use to post it all here but if somebody can explain it in dummy terms so i could understand i would be GLAD to post the results. I also suffer from RLS but have not been diagnosed by a dr and have recently had a sciatic nerve problem on my left side that was very painful and lasted a month. Thankfully i am goin to the Dr in Jan and might get some relief from some of this as it is hard to hold down a job and have a normal life. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: New & need help!!

Sure, I'll explain an MRI, as long as it's in dummy terms. Don't expect anything better, though. If you have a lumbar MRI, too, you could also post on the Back Problems Board, as they are more knowledgeable about lumbar issues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
(female)

rodeogirl31520 HB User

this is what my paper says..Alignment and bony structures:Anatomic alignment with straightening of the cervical spine. There is anterior osteophyte formation. There is changes of vertebral endplates at the C5-6 and C6-7 disc levels. Spinal cord:Normal in size and signal. C2-3 disc level: normal..C3-4 disc level normal..C4-5 disc level : Mild central canal stenosis secondary to posterior disc/spur complex formation which is more prominent on the left. There is mild left anterior cord effacement seen in association with this as well as mild to moderate left foraminal stenosis.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

<< with straightening of the cervical spine >>

Your cervical spine should be slightly "lordotic", which means that it curves backwards as it rises from your shoulders. Yours has straightened somewhat, which means that it's not quite holding your head upright. Not a very unusual condition. If the radiologist were to say that your cervical spine had gone "kyphotic" (the opposite of lordotic), then he'd be raising a red flag.

<< There is anterior osteophyte formation. >>

Bone spurs, but you already know that.

<< There is changes of vertebral endplates at the C5-6 and C6-7 disc levels. >>

A little more detail would be nice.

<< Spinal cord:Normal in size and signal >>

The most important thing...

<< C4-5 disc level : Mild central canal stenosis secondary to posterior disc/spur complex formation which is more prominent on the left. >>

OK, so your C4 and/or C5 vertebrae have bone spurs growing back off them, probably off the surfaces that contact the C4-5 disk. This is a little worse on the left and is causing mild (read "clearly there but not problematic") narrowing of the spinal canal (not the cord, just the canal).

<< There is mild left anterior cord effacement seen in association with this >>

The bone spurs pushing back into the canal have "effaced" (pushed away) the spinal fluid that normal surrounds the cord. Apparently only in front, though.

<< as well as mild to moderate left foraminal stenosis. >>

The neural foramen, which is opening in the spinal cage where your left C5 nerve leaves the cord and heads toward your shoulder and arm has been somewhat narrowed by those bone spurs. Here, the situation rises to "moderate" (read "borderline problematic").

All in all, it's a pretty benign report, to my eyes. You must have had symptoms, though, or you would not have gotten it done, and I'd guess your symptoms have worsened, or you wouldn't be bringing it up. Perhaps time for another MRI?

Last edited by WebDozer; 12-29-2012 at 04:41 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
rodeogirl31520 (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
(female)

rodeogirl31520 HB User

wow thanks for being so quick to reply...i didnt post the whole report but yes i was having problems and went to er and they did the mri but this was back in 04...problems have gotten worse and due to no insurance i have not been to a dr but i am going in Jan , my neck bothers me alot cause i am looking up ALOT at my job,,holding screens up to the light to look for pin holes...i am also effected by sciatic nerve and rls....oh the joys of adult life and not taking care of myself when i was younger...lol

Closed Thread