It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
I'm really worried

Hi all.

I am really worried.

First of all, next week 1/11/13 I am going for a Intrathecal Pain Pump to be implanted at the T 10 level to help the mid-back & lumbar region. The trial was successful. That is NOT worrying me.

But in the interim I went thru a MRI of the Cervical and Thoracic region. While several things showed up, the following concerned me greatly.

There are bone spurs and protrusions/bulges in both area.

BUT, there is myelomalacia and Focal Cord Atrophy of the cervical spine which I knew about. My neurosugeon is worried about it too. He hesitates to operate because of so many prior surgeries and other health risks.

But in addition to the above the MRI that was just done shows
"SEVERE LOSS OF DISC HEIGHT AT C6-7"

So between the myelomalcia the focal cord atrophy and the loss of disc height - SEVERE - all in the same region this really bothers me.

Any suggestions; thoughts; comments.

I am really worried as the days go by...........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
(female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User
Re: I'm really worried

Hi. After you get the pain pump does it stop you from getting future MRI's? Would it change any future possible surgeries. I have real concerns with the pain pump but that is on me. I have RSD and it is not recommended. Good luck and feel better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: I'm really worried

Frenchfri:

As to getting an MRI with the Intrathecal Pain Pump you can still get an MRI done. I have to double check and reread more about MRI's and the pumps, but from what I recall before going thru an MRI you certainly would have to let the facility where the MRI is being done and let them know that you have an implant done. As to how that would affect them or if something would be done different during the testing that I am not sure about. But yes you can still have it done from what I've read.

BUT in contrast to the Intrathecal Pain Pump; prior to having this done I did have the Spinal Cord Stimulator implant and then removed several years later. With the "stimulator" MRI's were NOT allowed.

As to how the pump would affect future surgeries I am not sure that it would Nothing was said to me nor have I seen anything in the literature about how it would affect future surgeries. But that is certainly something for me to keep in mind. If I were to have any surgeries in the future I would certainly advise the surgeon that I have an implant and where it is located. Don't forget that when I see a doctor now and they ask me what medications I am on I have to include the medication from the pump. So I would make sure whom ever I treat with knows of the implant.

In fact I just recently ordered a medical alert bracelet. I do have a number of medical conditions and in the event that I can't give my medical history this way with the bracelet on my wrist, at least people who may treat me are aware of my medical history at least the most important points.

Reply Reply