It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
(male)

Euphoria62309 HB User
Chronic head pressure & neck pressure

Hello, I am new here and thought I would share a few of the symptoms I've been having for the last 2+ months.

First off, I have already seen a doctor, who sent me to a neurologist who sent me for an MRI on my cerebral spine ~2 weeks ago. Considering I have yet to recieve any word from my Neurologist I am sure there was nothing major that was found there. I am going to call when the office opens just to be sure, but I want to know if anyone else has these same symptoms and if so, has anyone figured out what it was. I am a 28 year old male by the way, if that makes any difference.

My current symptoms are:
  • Pressure at the base of my skull
  • Feeling as though my head is too heavy for my neck
  • Neck making a "crackling" sound when I bend it back, similar to that of pop rocks or Rice Crispies when you put milk in the bowl.
  • Pressure on the top of my skull
  • Pressure behind my eyes
  • Back pain that seems to change location, most mostly in the upper region.

Strange thing is that sometimes if I lay on the couch while having a bout with head pressure and headaches and use the couch cushion as a pillow that area where the neck meets the back of my skull experiences a ton of pressure and is incredibly uncomfortable. I need to lay on my side to make it feel better.

Another thing is that for a while I was falling asleep on the couch and I would wake up with terrible headaches that lasted all day long. Only relief would be if I take Ibuprofens or Aspirins for the headaches.

However, if I sleep in bed with a normal pillow I find that the headaches are gone when I wake up.

I was just recently on vacation from work for the holiday week, lasting from Dec. 23rd-Jan. 2nd and for almost that entire time I felt good. Not 100%, but a whole lot better than I felt for the month a half prior. Now that I am back at work it seems the headaches and pressure are back and getting worse by the day, although unlike before I don't wake up with the headaches.

I work at a desk and use a computer all day. I

Could this be from sitting or maybe from my work PC? I tend to use my iPhone a lot and looking at that doesn't cause my symptoms to flare up.

I have lowered my brightnessed on the work PC to only 10, same with the contrast and I have lowered the resolution in order to make everything larger so my eyes wouldn't need to work as hard, but nothing seems to be helping.

Anyone else have/had this issue?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Chronic head pressure & neck pressure

Sorry that I can't personally relate to those symptoms. You should be able to get the radiologist's report from the MRI any time you ask for it. If you do so, and you post what he says, people here will comment on whether anything stands out or not.

Other than that, I'd say that a neurologist seems like the right person to be seeing, for now.If the problem is more orthopedic - or whatever - he hopefully will tell you that as soon as possible.

Last edited by WebDozer; 01-10-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
(male)

Euphoria62309 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
Sorry that I can't personally relate to those symptoms. You should be able to get the radiologist's report from the MRI any time you ask for it. If you do so, and you post what he says, people here will comment on whether anything stands out or not.

Other than that, I'd say that a neurologist seems like the right person to be seeing, for now.If the problem is more orthopedic - or whatever - he hopefully will tell you that as soon as possible.
Thanks for the reply.

I made a call to my doctor's office asking for the results, but of course I get a machine on the line and now I am playing the waiting game.

If it means anything, I also seem to get ringing in the ears.

When I find out more however, I will be sure to post them here.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
(male)

Euphoria62309 HB User

Just received my results for my cerebral spine MRI and they say everything was normal, with them only seeing thickening of the sinus membrane.

I don't have the files with me now, will be picking them tomorrow, but what I am curious about is this:

Could that actually cause all the symptoms I listed in the OP as well as the ringing in my ears or should I request a scan on my head now?

Thank you in advance.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Sorry, I have no idea. Hopefully someone else does...

Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
(female)

Hemlock07 HB User

Hi,

I'm sorry you're dealing with these symptoms. I have them as well, and they are awful, tstl. The pain at the base of skull is the worst, I find. Have you recently been in an accident? You have the classic signs of whiplash. Having your head being violently jerked back and forth is something you would remember, and I can't imagine your not mentioning it. But, adding the tinnitus. No wonder you're mystified.

I can give you some advice-keep a daily pain log. Be as specific as you can. Try not to make your neck do that crackling noise, even though it probably eases some tension. Are you stating you're having migraines? Try to describe the headaches for the doctor. Any tingling or numbness in your fingers or feet?

Best of luck to you. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #7
(male)

Euphoria62309 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock07 View Post
Hi,

I'm sorry you're dealing with these symptoms. I have them as well, and they are awful, tstl. The pain at the base of skull is the worst, I find. Have you recently been in an accident? You have the classic signs of whiplash. Having your head being violently jerked back and forth is something you would remember, and I can't imagine your not mentioning it. But, adding the tinnitus. No wonder you're mystified.

I can give you some advice-keep a daily pain log. Be as specific as you can. Try not to make your neck do that crackling noise, even though it probably eases some tension. Are you stating you're having migraines? Try to describe the headaches for the doctor. Any tingling or numbness in your fingers or feet?

Best of luck to you. I hope you're feeling better soon.
I just came back here to update the thread and saw your post.

Just this past weekend (On Sunday) I began feeling a strange "cold" feeling in the left leg, mainly in the foot but it goes up to my knee. A few days before that I had this tingling feeling in my upper legs that hit random spots and went on for ~2-3 minutes.

Last night though I don't know what happened but that feeling then went to both of my legs and I am feeling incredibly tired and nauseous. Everytime I would try to read or do anything I would get this overwhelming feeling of nausea, however I have no fever and I have not vomitted. Ended up going to bed early, but woke up feeling the same way.

Sitting at work now after struggling to stay awake in the car on the drive here (~30 minute drive) and my left leg feels cold (Not freezing). It is mainly in the calf and my foot. I feel like total crap.

Was doing fine for a week or so, but even last night I began having that pressure in the back of my head again while lying down.

So hard to tell at this point what is going on, but my neurologist only comes on Thursdays and I am almost at the point where I really feel like I need to get my head checked just to put my mind (Hopefully) at ease.

Last edited by Euphoria62309; 01-29-2013 at 05:04 AM.

Closed Thread