It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
(female)

Bionic neck HB User
help, need advice and insight

Hi All,

First time posting. I have had two prior neck surgeries; prior interbody spacer at C3-C4 with
posterior bars and screws at C3-C4.
also, anterior fusion extending from C4 through C7

I had new symptoms and had an MRI done with the following findings;
At the C6-7 level, there is approximately 3 mm broad-based posterior disc
ossify complex resulting in mild degree of central canal narrowing. There is no
cord signal abnormality or cord compression. Neural foramina are patent
bilaterally.

At the C7-T1 level, there is a right paracentral broad-based extruded disc
measuring 5 to 6 mm AP dimension and 7 to 8 mm craniocaudal. Some of the disc
extends across midline into the left paracentral region which results in severe
right lateral recess narrowing and moderate to severe right neural foraminal
narrowing. There is uncovertebral hypertrophy resulting in mild left neural
foraminal narrowing at this level. No specific cord signal abnormality is seen
at this level.

IMPRESSION:

1. There is an extruded right paracentral disc at C7-T1 measuring 5 to 6 mm AP
dimension and 7 to 8 mm craniocaudal detailed above resulting in severe right
lateral recess narrowing and moderate to severe right neural foraminal stenosis.

2. Primarily osteophyte is seen at the C5-C6 level measuring 6 mm along the
left paracentral region. There is anterior indentation of the cord at this
level with moderate central and left lateral recess stenosis. No cord signal
abnormality is present.

I am experienceing some severe nerve pain down the back of my right arm (predominate arm) extending down to my fingers, pinkie, ring and middle finger. There is numbness and weakness in my hand. *****ly and tingleling.

I haven't been able to sleep in a bed for over a month. I am an artist and haven't been able to paint either. My Ortho wants to do surgery. Posterior fusion at c7-T1 with donor bone.

My pain says do it, but my mind says, are you sure??? Any imput or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: help, need advice and insight

All I can say is that the herniation at C7-T1 is very much consistent with your symptoms, and it's rather large. I suppose you could try non-surgical options, but I wouldn't know which ones to suggest. As for surgeries, I'm wondering why he wants to do posterior fusion instead of anterior. Range-of-motion preservation, perhaps?

The best I can suggest is that you need to get two more opinions, asap, both to determine if surgery is needed and to get opinions on which type of surgery. Don't go with the ortho just because he's the guy who's treated you so far. Get the best surgeon you can find.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
(female)

Bionic neck HB User

Hi Webdozer,

Thanks for your reply. I am getting s 2nd opinion from a Nuero Surgeon.
He says he needs to go from the back due to the location. I have a very short neck. I did have two prior anterior fusions. One that was both anterior and posterior. Not 100% sure if that is the reason. I will definetly inquire when I go in for my pre-op appointment.

Again, thanks so much for taking time to respond. It helps just knowing that there are others out there going through the same things and who care

Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

All I can say is that studies have indicated a problem with doing laminoplasties at C7, because the very large spinous process there is an important muscle anchor, and a posterior approach can result in long-term muscle pain. Maybe a posterior fusion is different, though, as the spinous process may not have to come off? I'm afraid I'm not much help there....

As for the "short neck", I assume you're not talking about Klippel-Feil Syndrome? The other person who posted here about a short neck had, as I recall, a different hereditary syndrome, but I can't remember the name....

Last edited by Administrator; 02-08-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Closed Thread