It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User
Cervical spine problems and shoulder pain

I have been putting off writing on here, as just lately, I really feel like I am falling apart, and it feels like everyday there seems to be something else!!!

I have problems with my cervical spine, with bulging discs etc, and also had to have a rotator cuff repair on my left shoulder in Aug 2011.
The MRI scan I had on my shoulder, showed a full thickness tear, this was noted by the radiologist and 2 consultants, the x-ray I had showed, there was enough space between the bone (ie no rubbing from the bone on the tendon) However, when they opened my shoulder up, the surgeon said, the space between the bone was very tight, and needed some shaving, and even though the scan showed a full thickness tear, there was only a partial tear. He didn't do much with the tear itself. After the recovery period from the op, the pain in my shoulder was much better. Although,I have been experiencing pain in both shoulders though, which is believed to be coming from my neck. Anyway, about a week ago, I started noticing the pain in my left shoulder, was increasing, I just put it down to sleeping awkwardly, and thought it would probably improve. This hasn't been the case, I can barely touch the top of my shoulder, around where the scar is, the pain is radiating into my upper arm quite badly, and more mildly into my forearm, I also feel like my arm is weaker, and have been getting pins and needles in my hand and forearm quite a bit more than normal. I just don't know, at the moment, whether this could just be coming from my neck, (I am having a lot of neck pain too still), or whether it is more the shoulder??? Anyone got any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
(male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User
Sounds Very Familiar

I had shoulder and neck pain beginning in 2009 and increasing while going to PT and having injections. Then I had a rotator cuff repair and decompression surgery in 2010. Got better for awhile, then after 5 months pain increased throughout neck, shoulder, upper arm with tingling and numbness down to fingers while I was losing Range of Motion and strength in neck and shoulder. After over a year of tests, painful PT, shoulder and neck steroid injections, MRIs and finally myelogram with contrast CT, and a new PM doctor and neck surgeon, the problem is, and probably always was, over 80% in the neck. Aggressive PT after shoulder surgery was hurting and harming my cervical area.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Cervical spine problems and shoulder pain

I just read your post and had to comment.

Several years ago my brother-in-law had fallen in the parking lot at work. Turned out that he sustained a rotator cuff tear. He went thru surgery for it and was fine.

Then I don't know how much time elapsed but all of a sudden he was having issues again. I can't remember the details but neck/shoulder pain.

So he goes to the doctor and they start treating him for a rotator cuff tear saying that he reinjured his shoulder.

Something didn't add up to me. He goes thru physical therapy and he was not doing well. I kept telling my sister that he DID NOT reinjure his rotatot cuff. I said the doctors are wrong. I said he needs to have an MRI of the cervical spine and that was the issue all along. The problem was not stemming from the shoulder but from the neck
So finally they had an MRI done and guess what ? It was from the neck the whole time.

I would look into the neck issues further if I were you. You may be surprised in what you find. Good luck

Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User
Re: Cervical spine problems and shoulder pain

Thank you for taking the time out to reply to my post. My husband is convinced it is more to do with my neck, so maybe he is right. I am going to physio next week, so will mention it whilst I am there. Thanks again and Kind Regards.

Closed Thread