It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #1
(female)

Lynda666 HB User
Unhappy MRI results. Upper thoracic herniated disks and tumours. cervical herniated disks

Ive got my MRI results and are as follows.

Hemangiona are noted at C2-T1 and T4. Minimal scoliosis and reduction of the lower cervical lordosis but normal alignment. At C6-C7 there is a small central protrusion more prominent to the right effacing the CFS anterior to the cord and causing distortion of the cord but not causing cord compression. No signal change within the cord. At C7-T1 there is a broad central disc bulge/protrusion more prominent to the left narrowing the left lateral recess and narrowing the left exit foramen.At T6-T7 there is a broad disc protrusion and extrusion extending superiorly behind the PLL causing distortion of the cord but no signal change within the cord appreciated. There are broad bulges at multiple upper to mid thoracic levels.

Needless to say i now have to have a third MRI as the one ive just had was on my cervical spine and has picked up some of the thoracic area. I dont really understand these results. I cant find out what CFS and PPL stand for.

The consultant said i have major serious problems and need surgery. He has referred me to a cervical/.thoracic surgeon as he is a lumbar surgeon..

So 18 months down the line and im still waiting. Getting really fed up is an understatement.

I would appreciate it if anyone could break down the MRI for me in laymans terms.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: MRI results. Upper thoracic herniated disks and tumours. cervical herniated disks

CFS should be CSF and stands for "cerebrospinal fluid", that is, the fluid that runs up and down the spinal canal, and should surround the spinal cord.

PLL stands for "posterior longitudinal ligament", which runs vertically behind the spinal column (vertebrae and disks) and in front of the spinal canal.

At C6-7 you have a disk bulge (but, apparently, not a herniation) that has pushed back into the spinal canal, pushed away (effaced) the CSF, and bent the cord. A SMALL protrusion should not do this, but never mind. The radiologist makes the distinction that the cord is bent, but not compressed.

At C7-T1, the spaces through which your left C8 nerve passes are narrowed by a disk bulge. The radiologist does not indicate that the nerve itself is affected, but it's possible that he just can't tell. Any C8 symptoms, like in your left pinky?

At T6-T7, the disk is actually herniated, and extruded material has gone around the PLL, into and UP the spinal canal, and bent the cord.

I don't know why the consultant thinks you have "major serious problems". I'm not saying you DON'T, by any means, only that it's possible to have a report like yours and NOT be symptomatic. After all, your cord is bent, but not compressed, and you don't have signal change. I wish I had a better idea what the consultant's thinking is, and where he sees problems that need to be (and CAN be) operated on.

Last edited by WebDozer; 01-28-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

Lynda666 HB User
Re: MRI results. Upper thoracic herniated disks and tumours. cervical herniated disks

Thanks for your reply and explaining what the abbreviated terms mean. I also have problems in my lumbar spine. L5 pars defect. Spondylolithesis with slippage of 7mm. l also have advanced degenerative disc disease and severe spinal stenosis. will dig out the MRI and post the exact findings later

Old 01-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

You will get the best response to that on the Back Problems board, as they are better at lumbar...

Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
(female)

Lynda666 HB User

Ok, thank you.
Yes i do have symptoms in my little finger, i have symptoms in all my fingers and thumbs. I have numbness, pins and needles and a burning sensation. I also have it in both legs and all my toes, specially the big toes. I have had 3 falls recently and am finding it harder to walk and do simple tasks like preparing a meal as my hands are so painful.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

That does indeed sound serious. I know that gait problems are taken very seriously by the docs. Your could be caused by that thoracic herniation but, of course, the hand issues could not. Maybe that "distorted" cervical cord really is causing trouble, in spite of no compression?

Given your symptoms, I'd want to know if it's possible that they are not (or not entirely) due to spinal trouble. Maybe something else? Is any of the docs you have seen a neurologist?

Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
(female)

Lynda666 HB User

No the only docs I have seen are my GP who then referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. Could the tumours be causing some of my symptoms?. What are you thinking could cause these symptoms.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Sorry, you're really getting out of my league. If it were me, though, I'd want to see someone who would consider all the possibilities - a neurologist - as opposed to someone who's predisposed to looking just at the spine.

I don't mean to alarm you. It's just that the picture painted by your radiologist's report seems incomplete to me. Keep in mind that the ortho surgeon will have looked at the images, not just the report, and surgeons SHOULD be even better than radiologists at reading images that pertain to their own specialty.

Last edited by WebDozer; 01-29-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
(female)

Lynda666 HB User

Ive been reading up on these hemangioma and they are benign tumours. They do not cause problems when small but will cause symptons if left to grow large. They are intramedullary tumours which grow from inside the spinal cord or inside the individual nerves and often arise from the cells that provide physical support and insulation for the nervous system. They can cause paralyses and permanent damage. They can also cause compression fractures, neurological dysfunction and the development of a soft tissue mass.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear Lynda, I know it has been awhile but i have wondered did you have thoracic surgery, spondy repair, hemangioma taken out or are you still on waiting list? You had some serious problems according to your dr & trouble walking & what did the dr decide to do to help? Hope you are recovering perfectly now!

Reply Reply

« hi | L5s1 »