It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
(female)

spfamm HB User
Please help me understand my MRI

Just got my second MRI in three years and this is what is states. I have been referred to a nuerosurgeon but I cannot get in for two weeks and the pain in my back is REALLY killing me. So just want to know what I am possibly looking at before the appointment.

Thanks!

Findings:
The cord ends at L1/L2. The appearance of the conus is unremarkable.
There is mild flattening of the T11 vertebral body with some irregularity of its inferior endplate. This could indicate indeterminate age injury or infection. The T11/T12 intervertebral disc demonstrates mild annular bulging resulting in no significate spinal or foraminal stenosis.

T12/L1: The spinal canal and neural foramina are adequate.

L1/L2: Mild annular bulging of the intervertebral disc similar to the one identified on the previous examination. No significant spinal or foraminal stenosis.

L2/L3, L3/L4: The spinal canal and neural foramina are adequate.

L4/L5: Diffuse annular bulging of the intervertebral disc. Left focal paramedian extrusion of the disc material, more prominent than on the previous examination. This measures 1.4 cm in width, .9 cm in depth, and 1.3 cm in height. This results in mass effect upon the central and left anterior lateral aspect of the thecal sac and mild bilateral foraminal stenosis.

L5/S1: The spinal canal and neural foramina are adequate.

Mild degenerative changes of the facet joints are found at the L4/L5 and L5/S1 Levels.

Impression: Degenerative changes of the lumbar spine as described above. Worsening of the degeneration of the L4/L5 disc compared to 2/17/2009

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Please help me understand my MRI

<< L4/L5: Diffuse annular bulging of the intervertebral disc. >>

You have a herniated L4-5 disk.

<< Left focal paramedian extrusion of the disc material, more prominent than on the previous examination. This measures 1.4 cm in width, .9 cm in depth, and 1.3 cm in height. >>

The extrusion is greater on the left side. 9mm of depth seems pretty big to me, but in the lumbar spine it may not be.

<< This results in mass effect upon the central and left anterior lateral aspect of the thecal sac and mild bilateral foraminal stenosis. >>

The material coming out of the herniated disk is pressing on the membrane surrounding the spinal canal (the thecal sac). On both sides, it is narrowing the foramina, the openings through which the nerves pass on their way down to your legs. He says the narrowing is "mild", though, so it shouldn't be affecting the nerves.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
(female)

spfamm HB User

So any suggestions for pain relief? Feeling pain in my lower back and then when I sit down the pain goes into both legs. Plus when I get up my right hip out of alignment and above my left hip.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Sorry... I can't give you any suggestions. You could try on the Back Problems board, as they have more knowledge of lumbar problems and solutions.

Closed Thread