It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

crazywithpain HB User
cofused about what happened in surgery

I was scheduled for ACD c4/5 & c6/7, C5 & c6 corpectomy with instrumentation, and posterial wiring. When I awoke I realized I was not cut from behind. After asking the nurse she said my bones were to crudy and the dr would explain at my follow up appt. I got impatient and got a copy of surgical report. They started at c4-5 and removed the disc an found an impressive osteophyte equally extending from c4 an c5. they gradually painted down layer by layer by layer. Then encountered a very clear ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament. they were able to decompress the ligament however the ligament became densely adherent to the dura. After decompression they elected not to remove the bone off the dura because it would cause CSF leak. So they used 5mm cervical radiolucent cage and secured with a plate and 4 screws. Then they removed c6-7 disc and found a huge osteophyte and a calcified ligament. this ligament was decompressed to the point they removed almost the entire ligament and a 6mm cage was inserted an secured with plate and 4 screws. I dont understand all of this but I do know that OPLL and calcifacation can cause paralysis. if anyone has any info on this please help

Old 02-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
(female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User
Re: cofused about what happened in surgery

I wish I could help you understand what happened. I had a straight forward ACDF of C5-6 nC6-7. I hope that your surgeon can explain what happened in terms that you can understand. Feel better/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply